The Reunion Weekend
The reunion sucked. I think it was b/ the turnout sucked. People that were raving about coming never showed. We had about 30-50 students plus dates. We had a class of almost 300. How sad.
I wasn't expecting much, but I was hoping that there would be people there that I actually wanted to see. Instead, when Claire, Perry, Phillip and I walked into the door at 715-ish, there were only 2 other students and their husbands and 2 teachers. uuuhhhh. yeah. I got to see Mr. Anderson (aka the yearbook guy) and filled him in on Dan and Tracy. I added some stuff about KT, but he didn't remember her. ooops. oh well. I added some stuff about me, but only b/ he asked. I never had him for a teacher. I doubt he knew who I was, he just heard my last name and came over to me.
I'd have to say that the highlight of my evening was the first person I talked to: Mr. Ironside. :>) Still one of my favorite teachers of all time. Such a cool guy. I didn't even know he was around, but the voice that was teasing me, and the finger that was in my way while I tried to sign my name at check in, was very familiar. I was so surprised! We talked a little and I told him that Shirley was coming later and that Sara had decided to not come. Later, he told me he was sorry to have missed the both of them as he had to go catch the last ferry back to Alameda.
I talked to the 2 students, briefly, as I got the feeling that neither wanted to talk to me or had too much to say.... So much for being nice.
After eating a not-too-bad "heavey horsdourves buffet", I mostly talked to Rosanne Corrigan, Kelley Howard, and Christina Abbot for the few hours we were there. I was friends w/ them at school in our various ways. The rest of our class, those that actually showed up, appeared to be hanging out in the same cliques as in high school. I didn't bother w/ all the "cool" people or our hosts, for that matter, b/ I doubt they knew who I was. We never hung out, we barely talked, and they just made classes entertaining for me. By the time that Shirley, Dave, and Brian showed up, not only was Phillip waaay ready to go, but so was I. There was a debate in my head as to if I should say "hi" to Jennifer Homer, Amelia, and Heather, but that ended after a few looks over to them and then recieving of the all-too-familiar evil eye. I have no idea why Jennifer started to hate me in high school. Somewhere around the end of 8th and beginning of 9th, she just stopped talking to me and became a bitch. I guess she still hates me.
No wonder why I wasn't having too much fun. It all felt too much like being back in high school. Maybe by the next reunion, 10 years from now, people will get over how cool they used to be or what cliques they used to hang out in, and actually be open to talking to other people.
The rest of my weekend was FANTASTIC. Phillip and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency, which was only a few blocks from the reunion location. We had a nice room. It was on the 16th floor. Beautiful view of the bay (from both our room and the hallway). The coolest part was that you couldn't get off onto our floor if you didn't have a room key. How very secure and chi-chi, huh? On floors 6, 11, 12, 14-17, the elevator didn't stop unless you entered your room key. Our "balcony" connected to the room was a little odd. There was the sliding glass door, then about 2 inches, then the railing. We think that the balcony rooms on the other side of the hallway actually had balconies that overlooked the courtyard and bay. I guess we didn't get a real one b/ our room faced the Bay Bridge and Market St. Gotta keep that sleek design...
On Satuday, we hung out at the Ferry Building and saw the Farmer's Market and what-not. We ended up walking down to Pier 39 and hanging out with Carolyn some before she went to work. Ate lunch at Bubba's. I tried to opt for something else, but Carolyn didn't mind much and Phillip wanted to eat there. We had bad service. Carolyn wanted to walk out w/o paying (part of our service issues and getting the employee disc) , and, just as we were about to do so, the manager finally came over w/ our bill. We did a little shopping before we parted ways. It was nice to see Carolyn for a bit b/ afterwards, it was all about the reunion. Got dressed, met up with Claire and Perry, showed them our great view and had a drink or two before heading over to "our past". After ditching the reunion, we hung out at a bar across the street from it. A lot of our fellow alumni were in and out all night b/ it was cheaper to get drinks there, and, I'm guessing, b/ it was boring at the place we all left. Claire and Perry went to BART to catch the last train w/o us finding any place that was open to serve food.
On Sunday, we took our time getting ready. Had breakfast and walked out onto the new-ish pier by the Ferry Building. Next to the Sinbad's restaurant on Pier 2, is Pier 14 (I have no idea how piers 4-12 fit between those two!). New cement and nice niew of the bridge and stuff. Bought some fruit at the market and came home. I met up with Claire a little later in the afternoon and we went to the Zuchinni Festival. I was tired, but I wanted to keep moving and not sleep. I had slept solidly for a good 5 hrs before I woke up the first time, but I blame all the alcohol I had the night before.... Anyway, the festival was OK. Lots more rides and games for the kids than I remember. We ate some bad fried zuchinni, mushrooms, and artichokes. Claire talked to some people about her dreams and what not. It was some sort of spiritual thing. I went over to the stage and listened to an awful band. They weren't too bad, but they played Beatles stuff w/ a more rock-n-roll sound than I'm used to hearing w/ that music. They didn't seem too prepared. Boring. One lady behind me was heckling them. Don't know if she was an ooober supporter or not. One crazy lady was really into their music (or, maybe just the Beatles??) and danced by herself next to the stage. It was a tad sad. Finally met up w/ Claire again and we left to go get dinner. Had pizza and then went to Phillip's to try out his freshly made truffles. tastey....
Someone is making a WHOLE LOT OF NOISE on our street. Breaking things or loading a car or something. It's loud and annoying. All the dogs are barking. I can't see any of it b/ the trees block my view. A beeping phone (like nextel) keep beeping. More banging and popping noises. I have no idea what's going on. I just may decide that it's time to walk over to the post office.....
I wasn't expecting much, but I was hoping that there would be people there that I actually wanted to see. Instead, when Claire, Perry, Phillip and I walked into the door at 715-ish, there were only 2 other students and their husbands and 2 teachers. uuuhhhh. yeah. I got to see Mr. Anderson (aka the yearbook guy) and filled him in on Dan and Tracy. I added some stuff about KT, but he didn't remember her. ooops. oh well. I added some stuff about me, but only b/ he asked. I never had him for a teacher. I doubt he knew who I was, he just heard my last name and came over to me.
I'd have to say that the highlight of my evening was the first person I talked to: Mr. Ironside. :>) Still one of my favorite teachers of all time. Such a cool guy. I didn't even know he was around, but the voice that was teasing me, and the finger that was in my way while I tried to sign my name at check in, was very familiar. I was so surprised! We talked a little and I told him that Shirley was coming later and that Sara had decided to not come. Later, he told me he was sorry to have missed the both of them as he had to go catch the last ferry back to Alameda.
I talked to the 2 students, briefly, as I got the feeling that neither wanted to talk to me or had too much to say.... So much for being nice.
After eating a not-too-bad "heavey horsdourves buffet", I mostly talked to Rosanne Corrigan, Kelley Howard, and Christina Abbot for the few hours we were there. I was friends w/ them at school in our various ways. The rest of our class, those that actually showed up, appeared to be hanging out in the same cliques as in high school. I didn't bother w/ all the "cool" people or our hosts, for that matter, b/ I doubt they knew who I was. We never hung out, we barely talked, and they just made classes entertaining for me. By the time that Shirley, Dave, and Brian showed up, not only was Phillip waaay ready to go, but so was I. There was a debate in my head as to if I should say "hi" to Jennifer Homer, Amelia, and Heather, but that ended after a few looks over to them and then recieving of the all-too-familiar evil eye. I have no idea why Jennifer started to hate me in high school. Somewhere around the end of 8th and beginning of 9th, she just stopped talking to me and became a bitch. I guess she still hates me.
No wonder why I wasn't having too much fun. It all felt too much like being back in high school. Maybe by the next reunion, 10 years from now, people will get over how cool they used to be or what cliques they used to hang out in, and actually be open to talking to other people.
The rest of my weekend was FANTASTIC. Phillip and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency, which was only a few blocks from the reunion location. We had a nice room. It was on the 16th floor. Beautiful view of the bay (from both our room and the hallway). The coolest part was that you couldn't get off onto our floor if you didn't have a room key. How very secure and chi-chi, huh? On floors 6, 11, 12, 14-17, the elevator didn't stop unless you entered your room key. Our "balcony" connected to the room was a little odd. There was the sliding glass door, then about 2 inches, then the railing. We think that the balcony rooms on the other side of the hallway actually had balconies that overlooked the courtyard and bay. I guess we didn't get a real one b/ our room faced the Bay Bridge and Market St. Gotta keep that sleek design...
On Satuday, we hung out at the Ferry Building and saw the Farmer's Market and what-not. We ended up walking down to Pier 39 and hanging out with Carolyn some before she went to work. Ate lunch at Bubba's. I tried to opt for something else, but Carolyn didn't mind much and Phillip wanted to eat there. We had bad service. Carolyn wanted to walk out w/o paying (part of our service issues and getting the employee disc) , and, just as we were about to do so, the manager finally came over w/ our bill. We did a little shopping before we parted ways. It was nice to see Carolyn for a bit b/ afterwards, it was all about the reunion. Got dressed, met up with Claire and Perry, showed them our great view and had a drink or two before heading over to "our past". After ditching the reunion, we hung out at a bar across the street from it. A lot of our fellow alumni were in and out all night b/ it was cheaper to get drinks there, and, I'm guessing, b/ it was boring at the place we all left. Claire and Perry went to BART to catch the last train w/o us finding any place that was open to serve food.
On Sunday, we took our time getting ready. Had breakfast and walked out onto the new-ish pier by the Ferry Building. Next to the Sinbad's restaurant on Pier 2, is Pier 14 (I have no idea how piers 4-12 fit between those two!). New cement and nice niew of the bridge and stuff. Bought some fruit at the market and came home. I met up with Claire a little later in the afternoon and we went to the Zuchinni Festival. I was tired, but I wanted to keep moving and not sleep. I had slept solidly for a good 5 hrs before I woke up the first time, but I blame all the alcohol I had the night before.... Anyway, the festival was OK. Lots more rides and games for the kids than I remember. We ate some bad fried zuchinni, mushrooms, and artichokes. Claire talked to some people about her dreams and what not. It was some sort of spiritual thing. I went over to the stage and listened to an awful band. They weren't too bad, but they played Beatles stuff w/ a more rock-n-roll sound than I'm used to hearing w/ that music. They didn't seem too prepared. Boring. One lady behind me was heckling them. Don't know if she was an ooober supporter or not. One crazy lady was really into their music (or, maybe just the Beatles??) and danced by herself next to the stage. It was a tad sad. Finally met up w/ Claire again and we left to go get dinner. Had pizza and then went to Phillip's to try out his freshly made truffles. tastey....
Someone is making a WHOLE LOT OF NOISE on our street. Breaking things or loading a car or something. It's loud and annoying. All the dogs are barking. I can't see any of it b/ the trees block my view. A beeping phone (like nextel) keep beeping. More banging and popping noises. I have no idea what's going on. I just may decide that it's time to walk over to the post office.....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home