Life in the Golden State

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Neopost, Chabot, Yummy Food

An update....

I think that most of my blog readers know that I've been working, but I'll tell y'all about it anyway. I'm working! Since August 13th, I've been employed as a "long term temp" (thru Ajilon) at Neopost. Neopost is a mailing company that sells/rents metering and mail processing equipment and supplies. I work in the Order Entry Department at the US corporate office in Hayward. I spend my days doing data entry for NeoShop (their online store) and that's about it. Whether or not I like the job varies by the day, but I can tell you that it's definitely not "my calling". Having this job works well with my immediate needs: I'm a full-time worker and it's close to Chabot.

This past month, I've found myself at Chabot A LOT. I have a basic computer class on Tuesday nights and two "online" classes (basic Word and Excel). As I've told a lot of you, I'm taking all these classes to work towards an AS, Admin. Assist. Why not get another Bachelor's? I wanted something quick that would update/certify my wonderful office skills. My two online classes this semsester aren't exactly online b/ I have to be at the computer lab in the Library to complete my assignments and quizes as I don't have Office 2003 on my home computer. I have purchased Office 2007, though, in preparation for next semester (and this one whenever my T-nite teacher gets his act together). See, while the computer-geek classes have 2007 in their labs, the Computer Apps Dept won't have the current version until next semester. I have no idea why, but that's the way it is....

Earlier this week, I took my car into Honda to get maintenanced. I wanted the breaks looked at b/ they've felt a little squishy, and then, just because I haven't done the minor routine maintenance, I got that done. In the end, Phillip was wonderful enough to be my chauffeur (as my parents were still out of town) for two days. Appearently, my breaks were fine, but I needed a new battery (they're good for 3-5 years, I've had mine for 5 and it's been across the country twice), and an overnight (warranty!) fix of my oil pan gasket. The other recommended stuff I put off until I can confirm w/ someone I trust that I need the work done.... My car is so zippy now! I think they added a little air in my tires, but, the zip in my car is definitely from the new battery. It's awesome. The slight delay after a stop sign is a thing of the past. :>)

As for entertainment, stuff has been going on, but I can't think about what to write at the moment. Last night, I went to the Chabot Observatory with Carolyn, Claire, and Lorraine (Carolyn's friend) to take advantage of the free museum day sponsored by Smithsonian Magazine. All we had to pay for was a $7 show (yea student discount!) on "tonight's sky", and, honestly, we already had a free ticket for the laser show (which we missed). After the planetarium show, we went outside to admire the stars. It was heavy on light pollution from the Bay Area and the almost full moon, but we saw stuff: a globular cluster in Pegasus, the ring nebula in Cynus, the Andromeda Galaxy, the moon, and cool part of a nebula called "the witch's broom".

This coming week, I'm looking forward to the Renaissance Faire and a cooking class held at Sur La Table in the city. I will be learning:

  • Sweet Potato Cakes w/ Maple Streusel Ice Cream
  • Cinnamon Tres Leches w/ Carmelized Bananas
  • Burnt Orange Panna Cotta w/ Chocolate Cranberry Biscotti
  • Dark Chocolate Pound Cake w/ Toffee Cream
Sounds awesome, huh? I hope that the class goes well and that this can be a new activity for me every few months.

I probably won't get to blog any time soon, so I'll also tell you the highlight for next week as well. On Oct 10th: a second interview for Alameda County. I'm super excited and hope that all goes well. I don't know how many people are in the running for how many jobs, but I'm currently ranked at a "5", and that is w/o any extra points for already being a county employee or a veteran or anything. I've done pretty good, so please send some extra good thoughts my way!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home