Cesar Chavez Day Mural




On Saturday, March 29th, I completed my first volunteer project with Hands on Bay Area. Both Carolyn and I had a lot of fun. It was an organized event with clear leadership and all supplies were provided. I liked that the mural design was already on the wall when I got there in the morning. The day started out cold, foggy, and still a little wet from the rain the night before. After we cleaned the chalk grid from the design, we set to painting. I am responsible for the solid blue wall under the window that's next to the moon/stars, and the wonderful grape leaves, branch, and sky. I did A LOT of touch-up in the world of grapes. Carolyn worked mostly on the earth, I believe. As the day wore on, the sun came out to reveal a pretty mural. I got these pictures from the guy with the camera yesterday.
The mural is on the back side of Marshall Elementary School in the Mission District of The City... Capp and 15th, a block down from Mission. If you go by there and wonder about the 3rd wall of fish that doesn't match the design, it's because we didn't have the manpower to do all three walls in the time alotted by the school secretary (had to be done by 1pm). As we painted, the community was happy we were there (many were tired of the fish). It was a wonderful, colorful project.

2 Comments:
Very nice work. Too bad I can't check it out in person!
By
Chappy & Bailey, At
4/02/2008 08:47:00 PM
Thank you. I think it turned out great! It is too bad you can't see it in person, but maybe you will the next time you visit Dan and Cat. I hope the pictures give you an idea as to the beautiful, vibrant colors.
By
amy, At
4/08/2008 11:36:00 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home