Life in the Golden State

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Birth

It seems to be that time of year again. I have friends and family excited about babies as a few women are pregnant, and a few women want to be pregnant.

Out of curiosity and great reviews, I watched "The Business of Being Born" (http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/) last night at the Heysteks. It's a documentary film about "alternative" birth practices of doulas, midwives, and birthing centers. Because of Riki Lake's passion for the "alternative practices", the documentary got great reviews and attention via her numerous interviews and promotions in the media. I found the movie to be very informative (with the help of Jen H) and shocking.

Did you know that the United States has the second highest death rate among developed countries? (I wonder as to which country owns the coveted #1 spot for birthing deaths. Found it: http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/parenting/05/08/mothers.index/index.html)

Did you know that, currently, the majority of countries in the world have midwives handling about 70-80% of the births, including the "western world"?

Did you know that, currently, midwives handle less than 1% of the births in the United States?

In comparison, did you know that in the early 1900's about 95% of births were in the American home? (the severe change in number was due to modern medicine, technology, and politics)

Did you know that CA just made midwifery legal in 1999? (OK, that was from Jen.)

Did you know that 1 out of 3 American women have a c-section? (2003 numbers - might be more now)

I learned a lot, to say the least. I understand Jen H's passion for her chosen career and hope that more women take midwifery into consideration.... This will eventually make more insurance companies and doctors take midwifery into consideration. With that attention, it's bound to become more acceptable and legal. I don't know what I'll do when the time comes, but this movie gave me things to think about and to research (esp that prevelant, observed trend/cycle in the hospitals of: drugs, epidural, more drugs, and then a c-section).

Think of this documentary as "An Inconvenient Truth" for birth processes and mommy health. I highly recommend this documentary to any mommies-to-be, regardless of previous birthing decisions. The site I provided above has a lot of helpful links and information. The movie is available through Netflix. I just checked online, and it's not available at Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, or the local libraries. Befriend a Netflix subscriber!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home