The King of Pop
Thank you to both Eric and Jen H. for their blog entries about Michael Jackson. Nicely stated.
It's gaining on a week, now, since his death, and I still find it amazing. Unreal. I watch all the news stories, I've seen lots of retrospectives on MTV and VH1, and I've talked with friends. His music was such a huge part of our youth.
For me, I think the guy was nuts. Fame just made him that way. His surgeries and skin bleaching (aka disease) made him look worse and worse. The allegations of child molestation rocked the last decade or so. Michael as a person wasn't too attractive to me, but I still hold fond memories from my childhood that are easily remembered when I hear his music...
Time warp. It's Thursday, June 25th.
I found out about his death on Thursday because of a very good childhood friend. I'm driving to work, there is a Michael Jackson song. Then, there is "Thriller". Awww! That's Jennell's song. I've been thinking about her and wondering how things have been. I called her to find that she wasn't at work, and that she was heading out to Arizona. She tells me that Michael Jackson died. WHAT! no way! She told me that it was all over CNN and stuff. I'm floored. Then two and two start coming together. Oh! So that's why the radio was playing his music. I turn the car back on, and it's yet another one of his songs. bummer. We say good-bye and I wish her a safe flight....
I then immediately call Phillip to confirm. (He is my entertainment guru afterall.) He gives me crap and then tells me that it's true. He says that Farrah had passed away too. That, I knew, so I wasn't totally out of the loop - I'd turned my computer off around 1pm.
I head into work and it's the talk of the breakroom. One of the courtesy clerks says, "My stepmom called to tell me that he died and she was crying." She doesn't get it. She thinks the stepmom is crazy and overreacting. I tell her that she's not going to get it and that she's of the wrong generation. I didn't mean to sound old, but it's true. She didn't grow up with Michael Jackson the Star. She grew up with Michael Jackson the Freak.
Since Thursday, Michael has been "the talk of the town". People are still in shock. People are mourning his death and remembering great things that they associate with his music. Phillip wants to go to his viewing on Friday. I don't. I don't like viewings. Granted it'd be the first and last time I'd see Michael, but I'd still pass. I'd much rather attend a memorial kareoke session on Friday (the plans are in the works). Y'all know that I don't sing much due to lack of lung power, sounding awful, and always having a sore throat afterwards, but I'd participate this time.
It's gaining on a week, now, since his death, and I still find it amazing. Unreal. I watch all the news stories, I've seen lots of retrospectives on MTV and VH1, and I've talked with friends. His music was such a huge part of our youth.
For me, I think the guy was nuts. Fame just made him that way. His surgeries and skin bleaching (aka disease) made him look worse and worse. The allegations of child molestation rocked the last decade or so. Michael as a person wasn't too attractive to me, but I still hold fond memories from my childhood that are easily remembered when I hear his music...
Time warp. It's Thursday, June 25th.
I found out about his death on Thursday because of a very good childhood friend. I'm driving to work, there is a Michael Jackson song. Then, there is "Thriller". Awww! That's Jennell's song. I've been thinking about her and wondering how things have been. I called her to find that she wasn't at work, and that she was heading out to Arizona. She tells me that Michael Jackson died. WHAT! no way! She told me that it was all over CNN and stuff. I'm floored. Then two and two start coming together. Oh! So that's why the radio was playing his music. I turn the car back on, and it's yet another one of his songs. bummer. We say good-bye and I wish her a safe flight....
I then immediately call Phillip to confirm. (He is my entertainment guru afterall.) He gives me crap and then tells me that it's true. He says that Farrah had passed away too. That, I knew, so I wasn't totally out of the loop - I'd turned my computer off around 1pm.
I head into work and it's the talk of the breakroom. One of the courtesy clerks says, "My stepmom called to tell me that he died and she was crying." She doesn't get it. She thinks the stepmom is crazy and overreacting. I tell her that she's not going to get it and that she's of the wrong generation. I didn't mean to sound old, but it's true. She didn't grow up with Michael Jackson the Star. She grew up with Michael Jackson the Freak.
Since Thursday, Michael has been "the talk of the town". People are still in shock. People are mourning his death and remembering great things that they associate with his music. Phillip wants to go to his viewing on Friday. I don't. I don't like viewings. Granted it'd be the first and last time I'd see Michael, but I'd still pass. I'd much rather attend a memorial kareoke session on Friday (the plans are in the works). Y'all know that I don't sing much due to lack of lung power, sounding awful, and always having a sore throat afterwards, but I'd participate this time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home