My last weekend in CA
I had a really good weekend.
Saturday night was my time with my friends. It started with dinner at the Stinking Rose in North Beach. I went with Carolyn, Jen, and Lisa. I love that place! I had never been there before, but who wouldn't like a restaurant dedicated to garlic? We were served bread, garlic olive oil, and some fresh garlic and parsley chunky stuff. Very good. The chunky stuff was hot, but tastey. For dinner I had the lamb. It was served with fava beans, chianti glaze and some pesto mashed potatoes. I didn't like the potatoes very much cuz they were too strong for me, but I did finish off the lamb. I got every last morsel of meat I could. For dessert three of us shared some garlic ice cream. It was very good. It was a wonderful substitute for the hazelnut garlic ice cream I was wanting. This dessert was vanilla garlic ice cream with a chocolate mole and caramel. It was awesome! The best part was the melted stuff. Carolyn wimped out and said the ice cream was too strong, so Jen and I had to finish it off. Truthfully, I couldn't taste the garlic. My tongue must have been on garlic overload.
Next, we all went to the Beach Chalet to meet up with the friends that were able to attend the bonfire I had planned. By the time everyone met up, about half the group was downstairs in the bar, enjoying a drink and the acoustic alternative band and the other half was in the lobby enjoying the murals, models, and local history. Some friends came from far away (one from Tulare, the other from Pacific Grove) and I was happy they were able to make the trip. We found our "dark spot" between all the other bonfires on Ocean Beach across the street, and just as we were starting the bonfire, we're told that the park rangers will start handing out $75 tickets to the cars parked in the parking lot after 10pm. Well, it was ten. It was a madhouse to move the cars. There were people scrambling everywhere. Police with their lights and occasional siren woooping. Drama, drama, drama. I was able to park down a side street and happened to be near both Krishneel's and Greg's cars. The rest of the bonfire experience was peaceful and fun. The smores were a hit. Dayni brought along some cookies, Phillip some donuts, and Megan and Cory had a cooler of items. Soda and strawberries were enjoyed by all. Cory was even creative and turned a soda can into a pot for some melted chocolate. Chocolate strawberries at the beach, people! I received some very kind words and encouragement from all that attended. I'm sure I had more fun that night than at any party I could have had. About half of the group stayed until 130am, which was when the last of the paper we'd brought was burned. Since I wasn't running carpool, I had a nice, quiet drive home for which to reflect on the evening.
Sunday morning, I had an early breakfast with Phillip before he left town. I had a belgium waffle which cured my waffle craving. It was good. It was sweet but not too hard or over cooked. We said our good-byes and I headed home to help with the family BBQ preparations. THe food highlights included the BBQed hot dogs and chicken, and the homemade spinach dip. For dessert, Mom had picked up a Red Velvet Cake from the Sweet Potato Pie Co. near downtown San Leandro. Most people liked it even though it's a very dense cake. We have about 1/4 of the cake leftover. Anyone want some cake? Just yell. I don't think it'll get eaten. Mom's surgery is tomorrow and she won't leave the hospital until Friday. Dad and I don't need that much cake in the fridge.... Anyway, it was a good BBQ. Most of my family from both sides showed up. I was nice to see my aunt, uncle, and their son from San Jose, again. I don't think we've seen each other since Christmas. It was nice to get caught up with everyone and I told them all about my mostly planned trip across the country. I still need to clarify a few more things and make another reservation or two before I leave on Saturday.
Overall, a very good weekend. Great conversations and some awesome gifts. I received some money, traveling music, a photo album, a gift card to Starbucks, a beautiful sun catcher, body pampering supplies, and some new bed sheets for my future queen-sized bed (aka, my "big girl bed").
Thank you to everyone for a great weekend and the thoughtful gifts!
Saturday night was my time with my friends. It started with dinner at the Stinking Rose in North Beach. I went with Carolyn, Jen, and Lisa. I love that place! I had never been there before, but who wouldn't like a restaurant dedicated to garlic? We were served bread, garlic olive oil, and some fresh garlic and parsley chunky stuff. Very good. The chunky stuff was hot, but tastey. For dinner I had the lamb. It was served with fava beans, chianti glaze and some pesto mashed potatoes. I didn't like the potatoes very much cuz they were too strong for me, but I did finish off the lamb. I got every last morsel of meat I could. For dessert three of us shared some garlic ice cream. It was very good. It was a wonderful substitute for the hazelnut garlic ice cream I was wanting. This dessert was vanilla garlic ice cream with a chocolate mole and caramel. It was awesome! The best part was the melted stuff. Carolyn wimped out and said the ice cream was too strong, so Jen and I had to finish it off. Truthfully, I couldn't taste the garlic. My tongue must have been on garlic overload.
Next, we all went to the Beach Chalet to meet up with the friends that were able to attend the bonfire I had planned. By the time everyone met up, about half the group was downstairs in the bar, enjoying a drink and the acoustic alternative band and the other half was in the lobby enjoying the murals, models, and local history. Some friends came from far away (one from Tulare, the other from Pacific Grove) and I was happy they were able to make the trip. We found our "dark spot" between all the other bonfires on Ocean Beach across the street, and just as we were starting the bonfire, we're told that the park rangers will start handing out $75 tickets to the cars parked in the parking lot after 10pm. Well, it was ten. It was a madhouse to move the cars. There were people scrambling everywhere. Police with their lights and occasional siren woooping. Drama, drama, drama. I was able to park down a side street and happened to be near both Krishneel's and Greg's cars. The rest of the bonfire experience was peaceful and fun. The smores were a hit. Dayni brought along some cookies, Phillip some donuts, and Megan and Cory had a cooler of items. Soda and strawberries were enjoyed by all. Cory was even creative and turned a soda can into a pot for some melted chocolate. Chocolate strawberries at the beach, people! I received some very kind words and encouragement from all that attended. I'm sure I had more fun that night than at any party I could have had. About half of the group stayed until 130am, which was when the last of the paper we'd brought was burned. Since I wasn't running carpool, I had a nice, quiet drive home for which to reflect on the evening.
Sunday morning, I had an early breakfast with Phillip before he left town. I had a belgium waffle which cured my waffle craving. It was good. It was sweet but not too hard or over cooked. We said our good-byes and I headed home to help with the family BBQ preparations. THe food highlights included the BBQed hot dogs and chicken, and the homemade spinach dip. For dessert, Mom had picked up a Red Velvet Cake from the Sweet Potato Pie Co. near downtown San Leandro. Most people liked it even though it's a very dense cake. We have about 1/4 of the cake leftover. Anyone want some cake? Just yell. I don't think it'll get eaten. Mom's surgery is tomorrow and she won't leave the hospital until Friday. Dad and I don't need that much cake in the fridge.... Anyway, it was a good BBQ. Most of my family from both sides showed up. I was nice to see my aunt, uncle, and their son from San Jose, again. I don't think we've seen each other since Christmas. It was nice to get caught up with everyone and I told them all about my mostly planned trip across the country. I still need to clarify a few more things and make another reservation or two before I leave on Saturday.
Overall, a very good weekend. Great conversations and some awesome gifts. I received some money, traveling music, a photo album, a gift card to Starbucks, a beautiful sun catcher, body pampering supplies, and some new bed sheets for my future queen-sized bed (aka, my "big girl bed").
Thank you to everyone for a great weekend and the thoughtful gifts!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home