Life in the Golden State

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Still Waiting B/of The Snow Storm

I was going to blog after I found out the results of my interview, but I haven't heard yet. The interviewees were supposed to get a phone call on Friday regardless if we got the job or not. I feel I did good despite going to the wrong floor of the building, being thrown into a panel interview, and having to take a computer test on the spot. I think I didn't get a phone call b/of that huge snow storm that came through this part of the country. All week long that storm kept increasing in size and strength. The beginning of the week predicted a "light dusting; 2-4 inches". The actual storm brought 8-10 inches in Boston and up to 12 (or more!) to the north and west of Boston. Luke and I think we got the 12 inches. Schools were closed. A lot of businesses (no, not Target) closed early and sent what few employees they had, home. Craziness!!

Being my first snow storm, I was timid. I left for work by 8am and made it to the mall on-time (845am). The roads weren't really clear and the plows definitely had a hard time keeping up with the rate of the snow. My only problem was keeping my windshield from fogging up, so I just kept the defroster on high... I was sent to work downstairs and we all just watched the snow get heavier and heavier. It was pretty empty in the store, as far as guests go, compared to the days before. Lots of employees weren't showing up either. When I left work at 1245pm, the mall traffic was increasing some as families started to come in the doors. Can you believe I only had a 4 hr shift on a Friday??? How cool. Too bad it wasn't on a better day....

My drive home was slower than my drive there. It's odd to know that there are 3 lanes of traffic and a turn lane, but to only see two lanes of traffic. By the time I got across town, I think I was driving in almost white-out conditions. The sky and ground matched and the world kinda disappeared. I couldn't see more than a couple of car lengths in front of me. As I pulled into the driveway, I found what it was like to get stuck. My car refused to go up it, and when I backed out, I had trouble getting back into the street. I had both sides of traffic stopped and waiting for me and a pedestrian staring me down. Realizing I was out of my league, I rolled down the window to ask for help. I was embarassed and a tad panicky. I was ready to hand over my car to an unknown person with more snow driving experience than me when the kind pedestrian got in front of my car and pushed as I put it into reverse. Freedom!!! Now, where do I park my car so I can shovel the snow??

I headed to the hospital parking garage and found nothing available. I called Luke at work and he suggested that I park at the gas station or McDonald's at the end of our block. OK. I needed gas anyway before I drove Luke to the airport. I got gas, which was amazing in and of itself b/ the snow was coming down HEAVY and the wind was blowing HARD. I couldn't park on the side of the station b/ the snow plower was doing his thing. I drive around the block and wish I hadn't. By then I think I was officially in white-out conditions. I made it back to the gas station and the truck was gone. I took my best guess at parking and left my car. I made it back to the apt by 2pm.

*sigh*

I turned on the Weather Channel and found out that we were experiencing "near blizzard" conditions and that the storm should let up in about an hour or so. Great.

The weather people were right, too. It had stopped snowing by the time Luke got to the apt (about 3pm). We began to shovel the driveway and realized that it'd be nice if I had my own snow shovel cuz it'd have gone faster. We walked back to the gas station and unearthed my car (for the 3rd time that day, I'd like to point out). I took Luke to go move his car from Dunkin' Doughnuts and then we came back here to get his suitcase. I drove him to Manchester Airport for his, surprisingly, on-time flight to GA. My drive home wasn't too bad. I couldn't see out of my windshield very well b/ I'd run out of wiper fluid, but I'm sure my Hunchback-look amused my fellow drivers.

The snow is now, very slowly, melting. Out the window by Luke's bed sounds like rain. Constant rain. Someone has shoveled the sidewalk, but only about a shovel-width wide. The garbage is supposed to go out tonight for pick-up, but I don't know where to put it. In the street? On that strip of sidewalk? Between the street and sidewalk is a large mound of snow.... I hear someone shoveling in the dark (the sun sets around 4pm and it's after 6pm). Maybe I'm supposed to shovel that offensive mound of snow to another place so that the garbage can is able to be parked in it's normal spot on the edge of the sidewalk?? I dunno. I called Luke, but he didn't answer his cell phone. Overall, I don't think that my decision to take the trash out next week is a bad one. We can definitely fit this week's trash in that can next weekend. Minor problem solved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home