Call me Ms. Fix-it
I feel so handyman friendly. Since moving here, I've:
1. glued together the bottom drawers of Luke's dresser
2. seriously cleaned out the lint trap on the dryer (can we say fire hazzard in that old machine? i couldn't get all the change out b/ there's not enough of the right metal in the coins to stick to a magnet)
3. killed a huge, horrible, and quite possibly, deadly spider
4. greased the back door lock w/ veggie oil (sorry, Megan, I couldn't find any eco-friendly Biolube) so the keys actually fit again
and today,
5. hooked up a water filter to the kitchen sink.
Did I miss anything? :>) That last one would have been on the Christmas List had I not already emailed my dad... Hey! Grandma Barbara has me for the Maloon gift exchange and she shops EARLY. Plus, I'm getting a head start on Christmas shopping this year b/ I haven't decided if I'm gonna mail it all or try to take the gifts on the plane with me in Luke's big, check-in sized bag.
Anyway, I'm feeling quite handy. I like trying to fix things and making the living space more comfortable. The nightlight is working very well, too, I might add. It's nice to be able to semi see things when walking in the door and the only kitchen light switch is across the room.
So, not only can I get into the apt and see my surroundings, but there is fresh tasting water now. Very exciting for me. I don't know if Luke's noticed, but lately the water's been bad. It's always smelled like chlorine when hot, but now it smells that way when cold. And, it tastes that way. I tossed out my water bottle at lunch the other day b/ it tasted like ice-cold pool water. Maybe they're trying to kill/clean something in the water b/of all the flooding a few weeks ago? I dunno, but I've fixed the problem now. Thank you to whomever gave me the Bed, Bath & Beyond gift card a while ago. I was able to purchase this lovely water filter that was clearenced (b/ it was "summer stock" and had a free water bottle attached) and some chip clips. I got a variety pack. I no longer need to use scotch tape to close things!
Tomorrow looks like it'll be sunny. I'm going to see which key on top of the microwave fits the basement and try to borrow a ladder (if there is one down there). I'm itchin' to fix our front door light. Appearently it's been out for a while. I don't think I'd be so far off if I guessed it's been burnt out for years. Luke says he's tried to take the cover off a few times but can't. I climbed on a kitchen chair a few days ago to only find that I was still a few inches off of reaching the light adequately. It looks like it's the same type as the one at Grandma Nancy's office. If I can manage to get the rusted screws out, there just may be light at the front door once again. It'll be a very happy thing for me to see what's inside the mailbox at night and for the Bob's Pizza delivery guy to see the stairs and our front door better....
ooooh, pizza. Maybe Luke and I can order some pizza after he returns to NH. I'm feelin' stingy right now and the tax, delivery fee, and then, tip, are a few too many "extras" for just a small pizza.
1. glued together the bottom drawers of Luke's dresser
2. seriously cleaned out the lint trap on the dryer (can we say fire hazzard in that old machine? i couldn't get all the change out b/ there's not enough of the right metal in the coins to stick to a magnet)
3. killed a huge, horrible, and quite possibly, deadly spider
4. greased the back door lock w/ veggie oil (sorry, Megan, I couldn't find any eco-friendly Biolube) so the keys actually fit again
and today,
5. hooked up a water filter to the kitchen sink.
Did I miss anything? :>) That last one would have been on the Christmas List had I not already emailed my dad... Hey! Grandma Barbara has me for the Maloon gift exchange and she shops EARLY. Plus, I'm getting a head start on Christmas shopping this year b/ I haven't decided if I'm gonna mail it all or try to take the gifts on the plane with me in Luke's big, check-in sized bag.
Anyway, I'm feeling quite handy. I like trying to fix things and making the living space more comfortable. The nightlight is working very well, too, I might add. It's nice to be able to semi see things when walking in the door and the only kitchen light switch is across the room.
So, not only can I get into the apt and see my surroundings, but there is fresh tasting water now. Very exciting for me. I don't know if Luke's noticed, but lately the water's been bad. It's always smelled like chlorine when hot, but now it smells that way when cold. And, it tastes that way. I tossed out my water bottle at lunch the other day b/ it tasted like ice-cold pool water. Maybe they're trying to kill/clean something in the water b/of all the flooding a few weeks ago? I dunno, but I've fixed the problem now. Thank you to whomever gave me the Bed, Bath & Beyond gift card a while ago. I was able to purchase this lovely water filter that was clearenced (b/ it was "summer stock" and had a free water bottle attached) and some chip clips. I got a variety pack. I no longer need to use scotch tape to close things!
Tomorrow looks like it'll be sunny. I'm going to see which key on top of the microwave fits the basement and try to borrow a ladder (if there is one down there). I'm itchin' to fix our front door light. Appearently it's been out for a while. I don't think I'd be so far off if I guessed it's been burnt out for years. Luke says he's tried to take the cover off a few times but can't. I climbed on a kitchen chair a few days ago to only find that I was still a few inches off of reaching the light adequately. It looks like it's the same type as the one at Grandma Nancy's office. If I can manage to get the rusted screws out, there just may be light at the front door once again. It'll be a very happy thing for me to see what's inside the mailbox at night and for the Bob's Pizza delivery guy to see the stairs and our front door better....
ooooh, pizza. Maybe Luke and I can order some pizza after he returns to NH. I'm feelin' stingy right now and the tax, delivery fee, and then, tip, are a few too many "extras" for just a small pizza.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home