Turkey Day
Happy Thanksgiving!
Since I last wrote, I worked closing shifts all weekend w/ progressively increasing closing times that topped out at our new, daily closure time of 11pm on Sunday night. Thankfully, the mall had a charity shopping event going on, so they were open until 10pm and I couldn't have been happier. It helped out a lot considering they normally closed at 6pm on Sundays....
I picked up Luke from the airport in Boston on Tuesday night. I made the entire trip in 45 min!!! Another thankful moment. :>) I was only doing 10mph over the speed limit (which is much slower than a lot of the traffic) AND it didn't snow on me as Luke said it might. Nope it just rained hard all day and then stopped by the time I had to drive down there.
I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping so that I can mail it all by December 10th.
Luke and I attempted to make Mom's cheesecake last night. It looks "not right" but I hope it tastes OK. I put some blame on Luke's oven/stove top b/ I still burn things. How long have I been here? Anyway, as I was talking to Mom last night to get a reminder of how the "done" cheesecake should look, the cheesecake had a few brown spots at only 15min of baking! So much for 17-20min. So, I took it out to cool, made the topping, and when I added the top layer, Luke groaned. What's wrong? Well, the topping was "heavy" and the middle of the cheesecake wasn't as done as it appeared to be. The topping sunk and I tried to spread it around. I gave up and put it all in the oven for it's allotted time. Still too jiggly, I turned down the oven and baked it for another 5 min. When Luke wakes up, I'll have to take a picture to post on the blog. It's a sad looking cheesecake. Luke's only consolatory words were, "It's not how it looks, it's how it tastes". I hope that the finished product (WITHOUT a burnt crust!!) doesn't have a liquid-like inside like a lava cake or anything.
After some thinking last night, I think the problem was the soft, but not softened enough, cream cheese. Luke wanted to make the cheesecake part and instead of sticking with the wooden spoon I handed him, he got out a wisk to try to get rid of all the bumps. I knew that that isn't how Mom ever made this recipie, but I let him use it. Now, I think it was the wisking that made it so the cheesecake didn't cook right. There are eggs in the recipie and so, when wisking you create a lot of air, and it just puffs up and takes a long time to cook - like a sou-flay. (how do you spell that last one??) Does anyone know if I'm right? The cheese cake was quite poofy last night...
One last bit of news before I go... IT"S SNOWING!!!
Yes, the weather people were right. It be snowing this morning. Yesterday, there were a few, random, flakes. Today, it's snowing like a rainstorm - but snow, instead of water, and silent. I was awakened by our neighbor shoveling the walkway to their car and haven't been able to go back to sleep. Again, I'd take a picture, but I'm waiting for Luke to wake up and get out of bed. It's "only" 11am. He may get up in another hour or so. I don't know how late he stayed up last night.
OK. I lied. I have one more, one more last bit of news. I almost forgot! This morning, as I checked my email before blogging, I got a note from someone who works at the Dept of Public Health in MA. They wanted to know if I was still "seeking a positon" and if I'd be "interested in setting up an interview". Uh, YEAH!!! I replied that I was interested and I hope to get a call after the holiday weekend. This job was for an administrative assistant for the nurse registry office, not the one for the hospital (as I had applied to two jobs in September for DPH). This job is in downtown Boston, though, so I'll have an awful commute ahead of me. But, that is something I only need to worry about if I get the job.... so, wish me luck.
Since I last wrote, I worked closing shifts all weekend w/ progressively increasing closing times that topped out at our new, daily closure time of 11pm on Sunday night. Thankfully, the mall had a charity shopping event going on, so they were open until 10pm and I couldn't have been happier. It helped out a lot considering they normally closed at 6pm on Sundays....
I picked up Luke from the airport in Boston on Tuesday night. I made the entire trip in 45 min!!! Another thankful moment. :>) I was only doing 10mph over the speed limit (which is much slower than a lot of the traffic) AND it didn't snow on me as Luke said it might. Nope it just rained hard all day and then stopped by the time I had to drive down there.
I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping so that I can mail it all by December 10th.
Luke and I attempted to make Mom's cheesecake last night. It looks "not right" but I hope it tastes OK. I put some blame on Luke's oven/stove top b/ I still burn things. How long have I been here? Anyway, as I was talking to Mom last night to get a reminder of how the "done" cheesecake should look, the cheesecake had a few brown spots at only 15min of baking! So much for 17-20min. So, I took it out to cool, made the topping, and when I added the top layer, Luke groaned. What's wrong? Well, the topping was "heavy" and the middle of the cheesecake wasn't as done as it appeared to be. The topping sunk and I tried to spread it around. I gave up and put it all in the oven for it's allotted time. Still too jiggly, I turned down the oven and baked it for another 5 min. When Luke wakes up, I'll have to take a picture to post on the blog. It's a sad looking cheesecake. Luke's only consolatory words were, "It's not how it looks, it's how it tastes". I hope that the finished product (WITHOUT a burnt crust!!) doesn't have a liquid-like inside like a lava cake or anything.
After some thinking last night, I think the problem was the soft, but not softened enough, cream cheese. Luke wanted to make the cheesecake part and instead of sticking with the wooden spoon I handed him, he got out a wisk to try to get rid of all the bumps. I knew that that isn't how Mom ever made this recipie, but I let him use it. Now, I think it was the wisking that made it so the cheesecake didn't cook right. There are eggs in the recipie and so, when wisking you create a lot of air, and it just puffs up and takes a long time to cook - like a sou-flay. (how do you spell that last one??) Does anyone know if I'm right? The cheese cake was quite poofy last night...
One last bit of news before I go... IT"S SNOWING!!!
Yes, the weather people were right. It be snowing this morning. Yesterday, there were a few, random, flakes. Today, it's snowing like a rainstorm - but snow, instead of water, and silent. I was awakened by our neighbor shoveling the walkway to their car and haven't been able to go back to sleep. Again, I'd take a picture, but I'm waiting for Luke to wake up and get out of bed. It's "only" 11am. He may get up in another hour or so. I don't know how late he stayed up last night.
OK. I lied. I have one more, one more last bit of news. I almost forgot! This morning, as I checked my email before blogging, I got a note from someone who works at the Dept of Public Health in MA. They wanted to know if I was still "seeking a positon" and if I'd be "interested in setting up an interview". Uh, YEAH!!! I replied that I was interested and I hope to get a call after the holiday weekend. This job was for an administrative assistant for the nurse registry office, not the one for the hospital (as I had applied to two jobs in September for DPH). This job is in downtown Boston, though, so I'll have an awful commute ahead of me. But, that is something I only need to worry about if I get the job.... so, wish me luck.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home