Surprise!
So, I guess everyone was in on the surprise. I keep finding out more details!!
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you somehow weren't contacted, and that'd be a shock 'cuz it sounds like he contacted just about everyone I know. Phillip threw me a surprise party for my birthday. It was on Saturday, the 18th, at his parents' house in San Leandro. Instead of a dinner and movie date, I got a party with all my friends that live nearby (and I understand why those of you who live outside the Bay Area couldn't attend). Even though Carolyn tipped me off as to a surprise party in the works, I didn't think too much about it as he volunteered to arrange a dinner with my friends for the following weekend (aka today), and I brushed off the wierdness of little things that happened the week before and the day of the event. Judging from the way he was acting when he picked me up "for dinner", I knew that he was trying to impress me or surprise me with something, but not an entire party... And, I agree with everyone: Phillip does get major brownie points!
The house was decorated with blue stuff. There were blue balloons, blue and black foil hanging thingies with "30" on them, blue table cloth that matched the decorations, and lots of glittering confetti everywhere (so it's good the cat wasn't around too much!).
The guest list was more people than I would have expected as his whole family was home (Mr. and Mrs. Toste, Fred, Rouja, and Firmino), the Festivist croud was there (Louis, Jen H, Jen R, Carolyn, Dayni, Danny, and Claire), there were people I haven't been able to see or talk to in a while (Shirley and Dave, Andrea and David, Julie, and Krishneel), and then surplus friends of Fred and Firmino. Like I said, it was quite a croud. Did I name everyone? (In case you were wondering, my family wasn't at the party as I was having a family dinner the following day.)
The food was yummy, of course. Phillip had gone to Riggatoni's, which is like a taqueria for Italian food, and we love to go there. He's gotten 4 or 5 dishes of items we hadn't tried yet, plus the garlic bread, and all were good and got rave reviews. There was the chocolate fountain the Heysteks own, and it was flowing very nicely with various goodies surrounding it to dip in the sweet, milk chocolate. There was also other plates of snack food, but I can't remember anything beyond the cheese and crackers as I was extremely full that night. On top of all that, Phillip provided a mountain of drink options: soda, water, beer, Smirnoff Ices, and hard alcohol for the mixed drinks. I was happy to have a few sweet daquaris throughout the night.
Later, as I was visiting with Andrea, the light went out near me. I was happy to have the dim lighting as it was kinda in my eyes, and everyone starts to sing. Oh! Yes, of course. The birthday cake. My favorite part of birthday parties. Phillip purchased a red velvet cake and was super tastey. It was huge, like 3 layers high, and had a good cream cheese frosting that wasn't too strong, and it was decorated with white chocolate shavings. The candles were cute, little 30s on sticks, which were sticking out of the cake top in an artistic fashion. Due to my wonderful lung strength and capacity, it took me three tries to get all the candles, but I finally got them all. I say that still counts a granting of a birthday wish!
I've been asked about the presents, and I have to say that I was given way more than I would have expected... I don't really care for the opening of the presents in front of the party croud, so I did it quickly. Like I said, I received a lot of good things. There were gift cards to a spa, Starbucks, Chili's, and for iTunes. There were lots of chocolates, pedicure stuff, girlie lotions and soaps, socks, and a wonderfully foldable sun hat for travel (thank you, Carolyn!). I got a memorable picture collage from Shirley that was made with photos from high school and a certain teacher. While I never participated sending The Stalker letters, I do have to say I did my fair share of the quiet (and the not-so-quiet) hostile takeover of Ironside's classroom everyday. Most the people at the party did not understand the significance of Shirley's present, but they did get to see old pictures of yours truly "laughing hysterically" (to quote Claire).
For the people that stayed late into the night, there were games and competition. I got to learn how to play that Guitar Hero game. I found it harder than it looks as my fingers don't stay separated over their own buttons on the guitar. Firmino and Dave definitely have been playing a while and were "rock stars". We played a couple of rounds of a game similar to Taboo, and oddly enough, each team won once. We also played a game of Uno Attack!. It's a game similar to the regular Uno, but harder because of the new cards (and therefore rules), and the game shoots you zillions of cards against your will. Phillip won the game, but we all kept playing at his request. It lasted for forever! None of us could get rid of our cards. Many people had waaaay more than they ever needed or wanted. When the Uno game ended, that's when the last of the party-goers left the Toste house.
Thank you everyone for a wonderful party!
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you somehow weren't contacted, and that'd be a shock 'cuz it sounds like he contacted just about everyone I know. Phillip threw me a surprise party for my birthday. It was on Saturday, the 18th, at his parents' house in San Leandro. Instead of a dinner and movie date, I got a party with all my friends that live nearby (and I understand why those of you who live outside the Bay Area couldn't attend). Even though Carolyn tipped me off as to a surprise party in the works, I didn't think too much about it as he volunteered to arrange a dinner with my friends for the following weekend (aka today), and I brushed off the wierdness of little things that happened the week before and the day of the event. Judging from the way he was acting when he picked me up "for dinner", I knew that he was trying to impress me or surprise me with something, but not an entire party... And, I agree with everyone: Phillip does get major brownie points!
The house was decorated with blue stuff. There were blue balloons, blue and black foil hanging thingies with "30" on them, blue table cloth that matched the decorations, and lots of glittering confetti everywhere (so it's good the cat wasn't around too much!).
The guest list was more people than I would have expected as his whole family was home (Mr. and Mrs. Toste, Fred, Rouja, and Firmino), the Festivist croud was there (Louis, Jen H, Jen R, Carolyn, Dayni, Danny, and Claire), there were people I haven't been able to see or talk to in a while (Shirley and Dave, Andrea and David, Julie, and Krishneel), and then surplus friends of Fred and Firmino. Like I said, it was quite a croud. Did I name everyone? (In case you were wondering, my family wasn't at the party as I was having a family dinner the following day.)
The food was yummy, of course. Phillip had gone to Riggatoni's, which is like a taqueria for Italian food, and we love to go there. He's gotten 4 or 5 dishes of items we hadn't tried yet, plus the garlic bread, and all were good and got rave reviews. There was the chocolate fountain the Heysteks own, and it was flowing very nicely with various goodies surrounding it to dip in the sweet, milk chocolate. There was also other plates of snack food, but I can't remember anything beyond the cheese and crackers as I was extremely full that night. On top of all that, Phillip provided a mountain of drink options: soda, water, beer, Smirnoff Ices, and hard alcohol for the mixed drinks. I was happy to have a few sweet daquaris throughout the night.
Later, as I was visiting with Andrea, the light went out near me. I was happy to have the dim lighting as it was kinda in my eyes, and everyone starts to sing. Oh! Yes, of course. The birthday cake. My favorite part of birthday parties. Phillip purchased a red velvet cake and was super tastey. It was huge, like 3 layers high, and had a good cream cheese frosting that wasn't too strong, and it was decorated with white chocolate shavings. The candles were cute, little 30s on sticks, which were sticking out of the cake top in an artistic fashion. Due to my wonderful lung strength and capacity, it took me three tries to get all the candles, but I finally got them all. I say that still counts a granting of a birthday wish!
I've been asked about the presents, and I have to say that I was given way more than I would have expected... I don't really care for the opening of the presents in front of the party croud, so I did it quickly. Like I said, I received a lot of good things. There were gift cards to a spa, Starbucks, Chili's, and for iTunes. There were lots of chocolates, pedicure stuff, girlie lotions and soaps, socks, and a wonderfully foldable sun hat for travel (thank you, Carolyn!). I got a memorable picture collage from Shirley that was made with photos from high school and a certain teacher. While I never participated sending The Stalker letters, I do have to say I did my fair share of the quiet (and the not-so-quiet) hostile takeover of Ironside's classroom everyday. Most the people at the party did not understand the significance of Shirley's present, but they did get to see old pictures of yours truly "laughing hysterically" (to quote Claire).
For the people that stayed late into the night, there were games and competition. I got to learn how to play that Guitar Hero game. I found it harder than it looks as my fingers don't stay separated over their own buttons on the guitar. Firmino and Dave definitely have been playing a while and were "rock stars". We played a couple of rounds of a game similar to Taboo, and oddly enough, each team won once. We also played a game of Uno Attack!. It's a game similar to the regular Uno, but harder because of the new cards (and therefore rules), and the game shoots you zillions of cards against your will. Phillip won the game, but we all kept playing at his request. It lasted for forever! None of us could get rid of our cards. Many people had waaaay more than they ever needed or wanted. When the Uno game ended, that's when the last of the party-goers left the Toste house.
Thank you everyone for a wonderful party!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home