Life in the Golden State

Saturday, July 30, 2005

My Cross Country Trip, the first day

I'm told that Carolyn has blogged stuff already. For those of you who don't want to read this, please see hers. For those of you that are in for "the long haul", keep reading until you're bored.


Saturday, July 16th
Carolyn and I were planning on leaving town around 630am, but had decided to change it to 730am based on Dad's recomendation to sleep longer b/ there wouldn't be as much traffic on a Sat. After reorganizing my car and saying good-bye to Dad and Katie, I left my house at 830am. After more reorganizing of my car, I left Carolyn's parents' house around 9am. We then stopped at Safeway to pick up some fresh sourdough french bread for Kathy (Carolyn's sister) and headed out of town. Finally!

But, alas, that was not true. I had decided to take 880N to 80E and it was a mistake. We arrive at stop-n-go traffic. The sign said that there was an accident on 80, that all lanes were closed, and to expect delays. A 1/2 hr passed and we didn't even make it onto the ramp for 80E. I was frustrated. Impatient to "get out of town" I began to wonder what alt routes I could take. Was there another Oakland exit on 880 before the Bay Bridge? Carolyn was "pretty sure" and I took it as a "yes". I cut out of traffic and drove towards the bridge. We were so wrong. To top it off, we were dumped at the bay side of the bridge and not near the parking lot so we could ask to turn around. We paid the $3 toll and drove out to Treasure Island, made a u-turn so-to-speak, and headed back to Oakland. I decided to take the 580E to 680N to 80E. As we backtracked, we said good-bye, again, to San Leandro.

There weren't any major traffic problems (aside from the Benicia Bridge toll plaza back-up) until after Sacramento. We had enjoyed our lunch at In-N-Out and were quite disappointed at how long it was taking us to leave CA. We got past the other accident and drove on through the mtns towards NV. We would have had a picture of the momentous occasion of this border crossing, but I missed the turnout with the "Welcome to Nevada" sign.

We got gas in Reno and continued eastward. A little while later, there was an unfortunate incident with sunblock. Not thinking of altitude changes or the heat, when I squirted the sunblock on my driving arm, it exploded. It was on my arm, on my chest, on my steering wheel.... well, you get the picture. I got off at the next exit to change. As I was taking off my shirt, the only other car that would get off that exit today, came by and got a show. :>) the power of being strangers. :>)

Stopped in Winnemucca for dinner. As we walked the graveyard across the street, we considered staying for the night. Both of us were tired and I was reaching my driving limit. We decided to drive a little more so that we were closer to the UT border and would have less of a journey the next day. Back on the highway, everything was fine. Beautiful sunset behind the mtns. Carolyn declared that NV wasn't all that bad afterall....

As I drove past the last exit for Battle Mtn's downtown, we came to a dead stop. Why? What now? Road construction this late? Maybe it's one of those traffic light things that controls the one-way traffic? Nope. The trucker in the lane next to us told some lady (who had decided to climb up the side of his truck) that there was a fire. Great. Thus, our Great Nevada Fire of 2005. I turned off the car and parked like the rest of 80E. There was no oncoming traffic either. Not a good sign. I have a cool picture Carolyn took with my cell phone. I shall post it when I figure out how to do it. Some time later, I noticed that I was near a set of blue markers in the center divide.... I was near a possible place to make a u-turn. hmmmm. I ain't an emergency vehicle, but this was an emergency and there was a Super 8 across the freeway....

Carolyn asked the car in front of us to move up a little so that I could get by and turn around. They were kind and agreed. I made the questionable u-turn and headed for Super 8. They had no rooms, but they were letting people stay in their conference room and lobby. We got the sad beach blanket out and our toothbrushes and called it a night.

At 1130pm, just as we were going to sleep, a guy comes in and announces that the hwy is open and that all the truckers have moved. Since we heard that the fire would possibly keep burning until Tuesday, we decided to leave just in case the winds decide to shift again.

Midnight, Sunday morning, I found myself driving to a town past the Claflin fire. Carolyn slept. When we reached Elko, we began to search for an avaible hotel room. None. Our last hotel, Carolyn went inside and the receptionist was already on the phone for another weary traveler. The wonderful receptionist reserved two rooms down the street at the Budget Inn. When we arrived, we found that Carolyn did not have her CA ID to prove she was the Carolyn they were holding the room for. The guy saw all the other cards in her wallet and deemed that we were honest.

We got to bed at 230am, Sunday morning.

2 Comments:

  • Very accurate and thorough update.

    I will add a note - when I was walking around on the freeway at night and all the cars were stopped, I practically killed myself with fright tripping over something big and crawly and creepy that touched my foot. Some sort of GIANT cockroach. I thought I'd mention it cuz Amy saw it too, huh Amy?

    :) Love, C

    By Blogger carolyn, At 7/30/2005 04:49:00 PM  

  • yes, nv definitely had some giant bugs!

    By Blogger amy, At 7/31/2005 10:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home