Life in the Golden State

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Red Sox

Went to my second Red Sox game last night.
They were playing against Tampa Bay.
We won 7-6 at the bottom of the 9th.

The game started with them getting a 5-0 lead in the second inning. By the 8th, we had tied it 6-6.... I have never been to a game where the fans were so involved! Sure, there were a few beach balls and the wave went around a few times, but that was it. When it came down to cheering for their team to kick some ass, Boston fans are it. The roar of the croud was deafening at the bottom of the 8th. I've never seen a croud so happy to have our guy get a walk in my life! It was amazing. AND it jut continued. Every batter got the clapping, cheering, and the multi-clap w/ cheer of "let's go ___". The 9th inning was watched standing up. We had based loaded. The batter popped out. The next batter got the necessary base hit and the runner on third was able to cross home plate and win the game.

Some comments on Fenway Park:

1. The seats are tiny. I was leaning half-way into Luke's chair cuz the guy next to me was taking up half of mine.

2. The seats are freakin' old. I know everyone is reluctant to change anything about this place and everyone fights any thought of change, but new seats would be nice. The seats we had were on the 3rd base side, between home and 3rd, on the first deck. Good seats, but there were bars of wood unevenly digging into our backs all night. Also, I barely felt I had knee space. God forbid if you're tall.

3. Middle of the 8th inning calls for the ritual singing of "Sweet Caroline". You must know all the words. EVERYONE is singing... except Luke. That's OK, though, b/ I was surprised he chimed in for "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at the 7th Inning Stretch. He had won his paticipation points already.

4. Tickets for a Red Sox game are sold out the moment they go on sale. This is b/ they're popular and the stadium is small. Luke had managed to get 4 tickets for last night's game, but two were in row 6 and two were in row 13. You must be quick to get any amt of seats together. Unlike an A's game, you'd never be able to go up to the ticket window on game day and get some tickets. You'd have to buy them from a scalper on the street. They also cost waaay more than A's tickets. If I remember correctly, bleacher seats are over $20.... Needless to say, I have no hope in going to an A's/Red Sox game at the end of Sept. I'll be watching on TV.

5. The food is hte same as at Oakland. Hot dogs, pretzels, beer, soda, pizza and peanuts. I considered some soft-serve ice cream, but what I really wanted was some overpriced nachos. They must have been on the other side of the stadium somewhere.

6. There are many colors at the game. There's the traditional red and navy, but Red Sox stuff also comes in green (for Boston, I assume) and that horrible new fad of the girlie baby pink and blue.

I enjoyed myself despite the humidity. We even took public transit into Boston. It was my first time. We drove down to Lowell, MA and took the Commuter Rail into town. We then took the subway to an exit near the ballpark. (Not bad service, but if you have time constraints, you may want to drive and fight traffic. It takes about an hour on the train and however long on the hot, stuffy subway.)

It was an entertaining night, relaxing commute, and OK food...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home