Life in the Golden State

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Boyz 2 Men

It's completely cheesy and silly, but I need to do these things once in a while!

Julie and I went to the Alameda County Fair on Sunday night to see Boyz 2 Men in concert. It's free with the cost of admission, so I wasn't expecting a huge concert, but more than a 1/2 hr of music would have pleased me more. There was standing room only in the auditorium, and we were up top, in the asile above the seats, trying to stay in the shade. As the croud increased, I "lost" Julie to the sunshine as I hung back with the Sheriff officers. The tall lady behind me then decided it was OK to stand in front of me since I hadn't moved forward. urgh. I could see about half the stage over her shoulder.

It started at 6pm with the opening act... with ONE song. It was odd that he only did one song, but I didn't want to see this kid anyway. He was some cool, "tween sensation" rapper from the Disney channel. The song was about staying in school. I guess it wasn't that bad as it was a good-messaged rap song for the kiddies. Wanna sweet ride? Stay in School! Wanna good job? Stay in school! Wanna somthin' somethin'? Stay in school!

Then, the people we wanted to see finally came out. The entire seating area jumped to their feet. I could see nothin at all!!! :>( After many attempts, I gave up my spot and sat on the back stairs with some old people. Annoyed with that, I got up started to poke my head over various peoples' shoulders until I found a reasonable spot. Then, as luck would have it, the last row of seats opened up, the croud in front of me sat down, and I had a great view of the last 10-15 minutes. :>)

The song set included the Boyz 2 Men hits "End of the Road", "Motown Philly", "On Bended Knee", and some classic motown music that they covered for their last album "Tracks of my Tears", and others I can't remember now, but they're big hits that everyone knows.

Of significant note, the 4th member of the group was missing. I don't think he's touring or anything as the ad for the show only pictures the three members. I really noticed the 4th guy's abscence when they sang "End of the Road". There's this part that he speaks in his baratone voice that the group cut out of the song and just made it a sing-a-long with the audience. It was then that I noticed that I know this song better in its Spanish version "Al fin del Camino", courtesy of a Spanish teacher at Chabot. We had a tape of music that we'd sing in class to learn vocabulary and grammar. We had the words on paper and had to analzye them, study them, and they were even part of the tests as examples of verb tenses:

the chorus:
donde tu estes
si llega mi voz
al ponerse el sol
me recordaras
es lo natural
sigo estando en ti
... (i don't remember)
no juguemos mas
to eres para mi
dime que es asi

The Spanish version is definitely more romantic, poetic, and possibly, desperate.

After the concert, we rode the merry-go-round, the ferris wheel, and sat in a talk for some awesome and extremely expensive cookware. We got some free food and Julie won the raffle for a large jar of spice. I helped Julie eat her 1st funnel cake (which she loved!), and we were on our merry way as the fair was about to close and it was getting late.


Fair Info:
Pleasanton Fairgrounds
til 10 p.m. most nights til July 6th
new exhibit area on green living, electric cars, and whatnot
new food booth by the funnel cake stand by the race track: cupcakes. overpriced as the rest of the fair food, lots of frosting, limited choices
BART to the fair by getting off at Dublin and taking the shuttle for $1.75 each way, but the shuttle ends at 7:30 p.m. and I don't know why the end time is only posted at the ticket booth
$2 Tuesdays, Seniors free on Wednesdays, $10 adults everyday but Tues, $8 parking

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home