Life in the Golden State

Monday, July 07, 2008

What's That Noise?

Three noisy events and two movies this holiday weekend.

Noise Event #1
Happy 4th of July! I ended up at a fireworks show at "The Field of Dreams" in Manteca after a dinner out at Dan's house. The fireworks were late starting and then they had awful issues with the computer or something. It started out OK, and then the fireworks got all spaced funny and the show seemed to drag on, and abruptly end....... but,-then-again,-not. I'm told that the show was waaay better last year.

Movie #1
Saw Wall E with Carolyn. Great cartoon. I'd see it again. I liked the positive message it was sending the kids and the characters were just plain entertaining. The worst part of the movie was the rude, inconsiderate patrons. There were two people who insisted on texting and therefore blinding people with their cell phones. Also, the chickies next to me were beyond annoying. They had to talk about everything. "What's going on?" "awww!" "Oh, how sad." in a whimper, whimper voice... GRRRR! My four-year-old niece is more respectful and quiet than these stupid teenagers!

Movie #2
The Sky Tonight. It's at the Chabot Observatory in/near Robert's Park in Oakland. Every night, the last show is reserved in the planetarium for a presenation of that night's stars and celestial events. Afterwards, when you go outside to the big telescope and the two smaller ones, you know what they're pointed at and why. Plus, the amature people with their baby telescopes are fun to chat with, too.

Noise Event #2
Went with Claire to a free concert in Stern Grove in the city yesterday. I'd never been to Stern Grove, and it was a pretty escape from the city. Plus, an historical site! :>) There are lots of trees and you're in a valley. If y'all decide to go to one of the free concerts, get there EARLY to claim a seat. Otherwise, you'll be climbing "deer trails" to sit on logs on the hill, or be sitting on the lawn with all the families and kids behind a curtain of trees that separates you from the stage area. Anyway, the public transit wasn't awful and the jazz/ R&B music was fun. The opening act was Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue. They were young and energetic. The famous person that people were there to see was the next act: Allen Toussaint. He was an older man who'd been around since the seventies. His music was fun and the crowd demanded some additional music despite his "thank you and goodnight" line. The crowd won and the concert didn't end until around 4:30 p.m.

Noise Event #3
As I was driving home from BART last night, there was this noise in my car. A rattle, a banging, a thumping, really, in the back of my car. It was distracting, and I was wondering what I'd left in the trunk of my car that could make such a noise... Upon parking my car at home, I opened the trunk and found a loose water bottle. A WATER BOTTLE! It used to be in the case of water I'd bought for Phillip and Jen's birthday party over a month ago, and I don't know how it got away from the pack. I put it back in the plastic wrap and wondered why more of this water was never brought in to the kareoke room. That's what it was purchased for. I blame a brain fart for not going back out to my car so there was at least one bottle per person in that kareoke room. Oh well, can't fix that now....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home