Life in the Golden State

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Trains, Interview, and Movie

While getting caught up in all the picture-posting, I have to say that not much has happened in my life. I've been able to spend time with Phillip around my stupid work schedule, and I've managed to squeeze other events in as well.

Sunday, August 9th, was my parents' 34th wedding anniversary and Uncle Denny's 60-something birthday. I had the morning off work, and we'd planned on going to brunch with said people and my grandparents. Instead, Dad wanted to take everyone on a train ride. We caravanned down to Sonol and rode the Niles Canyon Railway down to Niles and back (we couldn't get off the train and walk around b/ it was the last one of the day to head back to Sonol). It was a hot ride through the hills of Fremont, and we survived without airconditioning. The train was neat because it's run by a non-profit full of volunteers who restore old train cars and maintain that little stretch of track. Lookin' at the back of my ticket, there is a reproduction of where you used to be able to get to by train, and it's impressive. Tons of stops in citys and towns large and small, and quite a few in places I'm not sure exist anymore... Grandma Barbara certainly didn't recognize the names. Before our train ride we had lunch at Bosco's Bones & Brew. It's got a restaurant entrance and a full saloon. They advertize themselves as the "elegant dining of the 1800s". It was a nice place and we all enjoyed our lunches. They must get great business on the weekends when the train runs b/ the only other food place was a smaller cafe that didn't look too impressive, but they had a wide selection of sandwiches. Ultimately, I'd go back to Bosco's.

Last week, I had an interview with the city of Hayward. Since I'm still on the Secretary list, they just called me up. Kinda neat. :>) The interview went well, I think, and I should hear back by the end of this week. I'm trying to not get my hopes up, but I can't help thinking about a possible life without Safeway with real hours and real income.

Yesterday, Phillip took me to see "Julie and Julia" at the theater. I really liked the movie, as did Phillip. He says that it's not quite a chick-flick and that the focus on all the food was great. I agree. I liked learning and watching all the food talk. :>) I'd be interested in reading Julia Child's biography and getting a copy of the infamous French cookbook one day. I was thinking about it before the movie came out, and now I think it'd be fun to make a few of the recipes shown in the film. YUM! Man, they did look good. But, adding two more books to my library can wait as I don't really have the space for them.

Upcoming events: none, really. The calendar is empty, but that's not unusual. With my work hours, I don't plan much of anything anymore unless it's last minute... I'm going down to my sister's place in San Jose to housesit for a day-or-so this weekend. No one's been there for a good month, and I'll enjoy the airconditioning and peacefulness. Mini McKinnon's due date is next week, and it looks like Lisa is doing well. All in all, things are just coasting along.


As of today, I'll have been at Safeway for a year. Yea, August 18th! urgh. The flip side is that it's a good day, too. It's Mrs. Toste's birthday. She'll enjoy the time with her boys, and I may go over there for some dessert after work. mmmm. Birthday cake.

2 Comments:

  • Good luck with the secretary postition! I hope you get it, you deserve something better :)

    By Blogger carolyn, At 8/18/2009 11:17:00 AM  

  • wow, i can NOT believe it's already been one year! get cake from pw market--burnt almond. it's totally great!

    dk

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8/18/2009 05:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home