Life in the Golden State

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

My 1st Week

My first week at the city of Hayward (aka COH) was a whirlwind. I was constantly tired and hungry as I tried to adjust my body to a completely different schedule. (I was going to bed at 930-10pm, and that was the time I used to get off work!!!)

Monday, Aug. 31st
Day 1. I was excited and nervous. I learned how to write out receipts for our tenants. I spent two hours at HR at city hall. I was excited to have so many benefit options and beyond excited that they could take effect the next day! Yes, the next day. My medical took effect the 1st of the month following my hire date. September first was the next day. I quickly chose Kaiser and Delta Dental and took home the rest of the paperwork to complete. Back at the airport, I learned the basics of filing, and given a key and the alarm code. I was awed that they trusted me, and really, I shouldn't have been. I just blame that response on Safeway's need to make you a child... I can't remember much else. It was a very easy day.
After work, Phillip made me an awesome dinner. He's blogged about it in his blog and the food blog, but it doesn't mean that I can't rave about it too!! He made everything from scratch: coq au vin, and an apple, nectarine tart w/ flavored mascarpone cheese. It was good. The chicken was very moist, and, oddly enough, took on the color of the wine in the sauce b/ it had a purple ring, much like smoked bbq meat. The veggies were flavorful, my favorite being either the pearl onions or the mushrooms. The mashed parsnips and turnips were something new for me. I'd never eaten either vegie, so I still can't say if I liked them. I'll need to try them again for a definitive answer. Dessert was very good as well. I was surprised that he was able to cut the fruit so thinly w/o a mandalin. mmmmm. It was all such a nice end to a good day.

My chef.

Tuesday, Sept. 1st

Day 2. When I walked into work, everyone was happy to see that I showed up and that they didn't scare me away. It was all light-hearted jokes, but given my recent employment experience, a fairly serious thing for me. Believe me, my first day was infinitely better than my best day I ever had at Safeway, and I was going to return! I learned the phone system. It was confusing in that my phone rang regardless if it was b/of a line I had to answer. Picking up calls from another room is something I need practice on b/ it's hard to tell which line is rining, but I'm sure I'll be a pro at it all in no-time.

For dinner, I met up with Julie. We went to Red Chili in Hayward (on Mission) and had a fantastic meal. I tried to get details about her recent Hawaii adventure, but she wasn't too forthcoming. We got some dollar-scoops at Baskin Robin and ended our evening upon nightfall. It was good to catch up, and it sounds like I should be expecting another wedding invitation next year. :>) I look forward to it.

Wednesday, Sept. 2nd

Day 3. The big thing I learned was how to make gate security cards. The security guys were out at the airport fixing things, and I got a summary. I learned how to switch to the card computer and how to create and delete. I made myself an all access card (again, it's a good feeling that I'm trusted!). My day there also taught me about our tenant information in the computer, how I need to update it, and whatnot.

Dinner that night was at Phillip's. We made frozen pizza and hung out. mmmmm pizza.

Thursday, Sept. 3rd

Day 4. I learned the COH accounting system. Well, the part I need to know, anyway. It's really old and odd. You have to type in codes and hit "+" to go to another page. You also have to know if there is supposed to be a secret 3rd page on an account. The document will say 1 0f 2, or 2 of 2, even when there is a third page. It's all about learning the quirks.

Dinner that night was at Phillip's. This time he made Coq au vin again, but with mashed potatoes and we ate with Mrs. Toste, Firmino, and Chalin. We (me, Phillip, Mrs. Toste) decided that this batch was better than the first but were puzzled as to why as Phillip used the same ingredients in the chicken dish. Dessert was more tarts and more yumminess. We finished off the extra puff pastry with just the mascarpone cheese mixture. DOUBLE YUM! Since we're all sugar-aholics, this made us all drool and wanna faint. :>)

Friday, Sept. 4th

Day 5. My morning was spent at city hall. I had to turn in the rest of my paperwork, and Noemi (one of the managers) met me to give a tour of city hall and to introduce me to some people I'll be working with in accounting, tech support, and engineering (she worked in that dept once), and of course, public works (the department the airport falls under). She took me to where we have to pick up the paychecks b/ the courier doesn't deliver on Fridays. It was interesting, but I can't tell you about everyone I met cuz it was too many people.

That night, I spent it at home. I was exhausted and just wanted to spend the evening in my pjs. Dad had the day off and was already making dinner when I got home. mmmm. meatloaf. I went to bed early and slept a little over 10hrs!

Saturday, Sept. 5th

I went shopping with Dad. We both wanted a couple of shirts to wear for work, and no better time to go shopping than for the Labor Day sales. I was more successful than he was, and I look forward to wearing the new clothing soon. We went to lunch at Nation's and just hung out the rest of the day. Aside from my pile of laundry, it was all very relaxing.

Sunday, Sept. 6th

This day turned out to be a family day. I thought that my brother and Tracy and the girls were coming over for an early dinner, but that wasn't the entire truth. At about noon, Dad tells me that the entire (local) family is coming too. It explained his frantic cleaning and the massive amount of food he'd purchased (which I'd taken for potential leftovers for the week). We had Dan, Tracy, Faolan, Kieran, Aeryn, Uncle Denny, Grandma Nancy, and Phillip (my grandparents weren't feeling well and stayed home). We had a lovely BBQed feast and I enjoyed being around the girls again. They're sooo funny and Miss Aeryn didn't cry too much when Dan or Tracy left her sight. :>) She'll like us soon enough! :>)

Monday, Sept. 7th - Labor Day

Day 6. No work for the holiday. Yay! My first holiday! :>) Dad and I blew off our chores with the desire to be outside on the nice day. We took a two hour bike ride at Coyote Hills. It was my first bike ride in at least 15 years, and I loved it. Dad took me on a fairly flat trail and my only pain was "biker's butt". My legs and knees didn't pop in pain, nor did I have difficulty walking. I want to go on another bike ride on the next nice day, preferably with the handle bars higher. It was so beautiful. We watched birds and enjoyed the sun. I was only a tad sunkissed and it felt good to be outside, in nature.

Tuesday, Sept. 8th

Day 7. It was Julie's birthday, and I forgot to call her. ooops. At least I sent a card.... Work went well. Yesterday, I reinforced skills. I made two gate key badges, created file folders, updated lists, and filed a bunch of stuff. I also learned that I was in charge of the calendar. I had to upate the printed one and to send out an email to the staff about the next day's events. My people go to lots of meetings!

Last night, instead of going home, I went to the SLZ Adult School. Dad's been wanting to take a T'ai Chi class for years, and now that he's enrolled, it was in danger of being canceled. I enrolled, as did quite a few other people, and the class has been saved. I found the class to be too relaxing as I yawned through the entire instructional period. It was a little difficult on my knees to hold a pose, but I'm going to stick with it. It should be relaxing and a slight form of exercise, which I need now that I'm not running around Safeway all day long.

Wednesday, Sept. 9th - Admission Day

Day 8. Another holiday! It's CA Admission's Day. This means it's the anniversary of CA being admitted into the union. Dad used to get this holiday, too, when he worked as an electrician. Today, I've done nothing, really. I had lunch with Phillip, and I've played on the computer a lot. I'm taking this day as an opportunity to clean up my pig-sty of a room. Or, at least I'm trying to. Not much motivation, and I'm fortunate that not many people see this place. :>)

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home