Life in the Golden State

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

'Twas a Food-filled Weekend

Dayni's baby shower went great. There was a pretty good turnout of friends. The games were well-received despite not quite knowing what I had to do for some of them. The food turned out wonderful, and I'll make the onion dip and cucumber sandwiches, again, for a future party. Everyone said the dishes were good, so my fears of too much salt or spice were unwarrented. With everyone's help, we had a true buffet for the party (complete with fruit salad, homemade salsa, veggies and dip, turkey meatballs - yum!, a fine dim sum spread, bacaon-wrapped prunes, and, of course, the ooodles of cupcakes). Note: It's always a good thing when you don't have to bring home as much food as you took someplace - it means people liked it!!! :>) I shall post some pictures once I get them off my camera.

The visit to The Tias went well, too. Again, Phillip and I were ambitious and brought a ton of food containers consisting of a fruit salad (a segregated fruit salad of watermelon, cantalope, pineapple, and black grapes/strawberries/blueberries) and Thai Sticky Rice w/ Mango (more containers of rice, sauce, and mangoes). The Tias made a wonderfully dairy-free feast of boneless pork ribs, chicken, baked beans, garlic fries, and corn. There was also homemade salsa, courtesy of their tomato crop. We all had fun catching up and playing with Kean. I hope that Debbie gets the 2nd interview for the job she desires!!! No word, yet, but I'm pretty sure that's due to the trouble with creating an interview day that everyone on the panel can attend. Good thoughts, good thoughts, people.

This week was slow for me. Monday was a holiday (Labor Day, hence seeing the Tias), and tomorrow, Thursday, is a holiday as well. We get California Admission's Day. Woo-hoo! CA became part of these fine United States of America, and my union sees fit to give me a day off to celebrate. I'll make sure the flag is out front tomorrow. :>) Since Dolores has been on vacation, her "office" was painted last week, and my "office" was painted these last two days. It's mostly done, but there will be more toxic fumes to inhale on Friday as Jerri finishes the last of it. She's been pretty nice to talk to these last few days. Since she's part of the maintenance staff, I don't normally get to talk with her, so it was good to get to know her a little. Other big news at work: Bill is getting married on Friday, and Tazz gets to stop fasting all day long as Ramadan ends this weekend. Woo-hoo!! :>)

Well, it's late and I'm beginning to ramble. Time to put myself to bed. Talk to everyone soon.

3 Comments:

  • hm? why did you segregate the fruit salad?

    oooo, i didn't know the cucumber sandwich had onion dip!

    dk

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9/11/2010 01:34:00 PM  

  • The food was great and you guys did an awesome job with the cupcakes, decorations, and games. You make a good team :)

    By Blogger yellowrose15, At 9/12/2010 11:08:00 AM  

  • dayni, the fruit salad was segregated by chance. It started, though, because I'm allergic to pineapple.... then the watermelon filled and entire container itself.... as did the cantalope. The berries and grapes were able to smush together. The mango had to be separate b/ it was for a separate dessert. Fruit, fruit, fruit!! Also, there was no onion dip in the sandwiches. I must have worded that wrong. sorry!

    jen, thanks!! :>)

    By Blogger amy, At 9/22/2010 11:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home