Oakland Zoo
After a rough morning, yesterday turned out pretty well.
Dan and Tracy dropped off the girls for Mom to watch until Kate arrived. When Kate got here, we took them to the zoo while Mom went to work. Despite the heat, it was very fun. KT and I both think that the girls are still a little young to fully appreciate the zoo, but it was still nice.
The sun was out. It was warm (and I was wishing I had a pair of shorts on the West Coast). I guess it has to do with the location on top of the hill, but the Oakland Zoo is always hot. Maybe it's also the ooodles of remodeling over the years: less and less shade and trees. We all had on sunblock and then reapplied it at lunch. Lunch was cool. Well, it was awful cuz the line was soooo long and it took forever, and there were about 10 employees standing around with 2 managers and one unidentified guy trying to fix the computers, but it ended up to be free for me. I was surprised. I waited in line for days, got stuck at the front of it for just as long, and then the manager hand-wrote my order and told me that it was "no charge". That perked me right up... and then I wished I had ordered the bacon cheesburger I'd wanted instead of the corn dog I'd settled on to save money. The hamburgers were looking quite tastey and KT's turned out pretty good....
We went to the kid's section (which is sadly void of a petting zoo now-a-days), watched a show with a huge-ass bird, snake, and parrot-like bird (which doesn't make a good pet b/ they outlive their owners), watched some flamingos, saw the lions, giraffes, elephants, and zebras. We rode the train that both KT and I swore it went through the zoo at one point instead of just around the outside and a gave you a nice view of the bay. We then divided and conquered. Kate took Faolan on the roller coaster and I took Kieran on the Merry-go-round. Both were in heaven. I think it was Kieran's first ride. I belted her in ontop of an elephant and had intended to ride next to her UNTIL I saw her lunge to the side. Not confident of the zoo's seatbelts, I got off my zebra and stood next to her. When the ride started, she was a little startled, but then LOVED it. I told Phillip that she was truly a Maloon when I caught her watching the top of the ride, seeing how it all worked more than the people around her. She even learned to wave at others and at the train that passed us while we were spinning.
It was great. :>)
Dan and Tracy dropped off the girls for Mom to watch until Kate arrived. When Kate got here, we took them to the zoo while Mom went to work. Despite the heat, it was very fun. KT and I both think that the girls are still a little young to fully appreciate the zoo, but it was still nice.
The sun was out. It was warm (and I was wishing I had a pair of shorts on the West Coast). I guess it has to do with the location on top of the hill, but the Oakland Zoo is always hot. Maybe it's also the ooodles of remodeling over the years: less and less shade and trees. We all had on sunblock and then reapplied it at lunch. Lunch was cool. Well, it was awful cuz the line was soooo long and it took forever, and there were about 10 employees standing around with 2 managers and one unidentified guy trying to fix the computers, but it ended up to be free for me. I was surprised. I waited in line for days, got stuck at the front of it for just as long, and then the manager hand-wrote my order and told me that it was "no charge". That perked me right up... and then I wished I had ordered the bacon cheesburger I'd wanted instead of the corn dog I'd settled on to save money. The hamburgers were looking quite tastey and KT's turned out pretty good....
We went to the kid's section (which is sadly void of a petting zoo now-a-days), watched a show with a huge-ass bird, snake, and parrot-like bird (which doesn't make a good pet b/ they outlive their owners), watched some flamingos, saw the lions, giraffes, elephants, and zebras. We rode the train that both KT and I swore it went through the zoo at one point instead of just around the outside and a gave you a nice view of the bay. We then divided and conquered. Kate took Faolan on the roller coaster and I took Kieran on the Merry-go-round. Both were in heaven. I think it was Kieran's first ride. I belted her in ontop of an elephant and had intended to ride next to her UNTIL I saw her lunge to the side. Not confident of the zoo's seatbelts, I got off my zebra and stood next to her. When the ride started, she was a little startled, but then LOVED it. I told Phillip that she was truly a Maloon when I caught her watching the top of the ride, seeing how it all worked more than the people around her. She even learned to wave at others and at the train that passed us while we were spinning.
It was great. :>)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home