Life in the Golden State

Thursday, December 14, 2006

December 14th

Life is back to being pretty darn busy. It's been weeks since the last update. Sorry, guys. I've been spending a lot of time at work. We're busy trying to close things down for the year... Where's our money, people! Not only that, but we STILL have people's tax returns that haven't been picked up. Needless to say, we've been sending out a few letters.

Last weekend was fun. Friday, I got all dressed up and went to a Christmas party for Phillip's work. It was held at the Claremont and I was excited to actually step foot on the infamous grounds. Beautiful view of the bay, bridges (even the Golden Gate!), and the Oakland/Berkeley area. Phillip bought a disposable camera and took a zillion pictures. The party was fun. I got to meet a lot of people. The food was awesome, the bar was open, and the DJ was having fun. The only picture I have to share was taken in the lobby before we entered the party:


Saturday, Katie and I went down to Paso Robles to visit with Aunt Mary and Uncle Al. Every year, for the past 20 years, there is a huge Christmas event on Vine Street. My uncle says it's gone on for so long that the houses on the street have a clause in their contract which states the new homeowner has to decorate their house w/ lights. It can be a strand, 2 strands, a ton, but it just has to be done by either the homeowner or someone else they let decorate (such as a business downtown). The result is pretty impressive. There are thousands of visitors every year and to get a hotel room, you have to book it a year in advance. There is live music, carolers, free snacks and hot drinks, and entertainment. The largest draw is Mr. Scrooge every year. The house he's at has a bedroom set up on the roof and he heckles people and is just bah-humbuged to all the Christmas joy. The only problem we had was the rain. It was good for us b/ the crouds weren't as big as usual. You could walk down the middle of the street w/o bumping noses w/ strangers.
Sunday, it continued to rain. We went out to the beach to see huge waves. Some surfers were out, but not many. Mostly, it was people in the safety of our cars watching the few that were brave enough to be out there. We had lunch in Morro Bay (a nice bowl of clam chowder), and then hit a couple of wineries. Since we wine tasted the day before at a winery w/ a 20's era train in back (decorated for the Christmas-time), none of us really wanted to taste today. We went to one winery that is building a castle. It's almost completed. It'll hold the tasting room and be a big hall or two to host weddings and such. We walked around the current gift shop/tasting room and looked at stuff and the cool statues of armor and such. The other winery we went to was known for it's cave tours. The cave tour was quick, but it was nice to see the tunnels, the VIP tasting area (a few hours and you get snacks too), and the reception hall they use for parties.... Like I said, t'was a fun weekend.

Since then, I've been to the hospital a lot. I took Mom on Tuesday to be admitted. She's been on the hard-core IV antibiotics for the last two days and has surgery scheduled for today at 5pm. The good news is that the antibiotics have helped some. Instead of getting two toes amputated, there is only going to be one taken. The doctors say the right foot toe is healing, but the left foot toe still has to go b/ the infection is in the bone. The doctors say she'll be out of the hospital a few days after the surgery, but none of us believe it'll be that soon (given her history of hosptial stay this year).

This coming weekend, I have two Christmas parties. They should be fun. They're w/ people I don't get to see much.... OK. That could apply to any of my readers. It doesn't matter. It'll be fun. The rest of my time will be spent cleaning and decorating. Mom wants the house decorated with more than our pathetic, half-sun-bleached strand of lights on the house that weren't taken down from last year (and that was "a first" for my family). My concern is the lack of time. Do y'all realize that Christmas is in a little more than a week? Where did the time go? I miss those calendars from church we used to get that counted down the days. It gave you a reminder of the time... I bought some lights to put on the windows, but I just might save them for next year. If we have family over for the holiday, we should probably get a tree this weekend so we can have it up for a bit before Waste Management picks it up for recycling... hmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home