Life in the Golden State

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Jury Duty Scam

Click the link for a scary story...

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp

My aunt sent me a forward today about this jury duty scam. I've never heard of it, but, appearently, it's been going on for years. The forward also provided the link above. Basically, the bad guys are calling people, claiming to be the court system, and telling them that there is a warrent out for their arrest b/ they failed to appear for service. Well, they get the person's SSN, birthdate, and even their credit card numbers (why does that have to do w/ court service??), and then identity theft is in the makin'. I tried to do some more searching on my own, but the Attorney General's website won't let me view the link to a 2005 press release on the topic. It's either my computer or a broken link... I found this all interesting b/ 1) I wouldn't give out the private info to just anyone, no matter who they say they are and w/ such a fishy story, and 2) I just got a jury duty summons of my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home