Life in the Golden State

Monday, November 13, 2006

Outings w/ friends

Thursday was a fun night. Claire and I went to Berkeley and had dinner at Jupiter before heading over to the UA theater. We overate, but loved every tastey morsel. At the UA, they play old movies for $5 on Thursday nights. We saw Back to the Future. Given it's location near campus, I'm not surprised that we were some of the (very) few older people there. The cool thing about seeing the movie on the big screen is the detail. Granted, it's an old, kinda scratchy movie and the projectionist actually had to adjust the settings to show the movie correctly, but there is a lot more product placement, legible signs, and just plain detail on things. For example, the clocks in the opening scene, or the label on the flux capacitor (which read "don't look at the light")... We enjoyed it, but I have to say, not as much as the uber fans who'd quote the movie before the characters said the line or the guy in front of me that'd sing all the background songs, or the group of guys who cheered at Hewey Lewis' cameo. They made it all the more exciting. The anticipation. The clapping. The cheering. It was an event.

Saturday night was the get-together for Carolyn's birthday. We met up at Cha Cha Cha's in The Mission. It was me, Phillip, Carolyn, Jen, and Dayni. We ordered too much food, drank some fruity sangria, and enjoyed watching Carolyn open her presents. Afterwards, Phillip headed home and us girls went to Gheradelli Square for the yummy sundaes. Given the large dinner, I couldn't finish mine. I'd enquired about a kids' size, but the cashier either didn't understand or wouldn't be nice and give me one. So sad. Instead, there was the waste of the beautiful dark chocolate hot fudge and smooth ice cream. We then went back to the mission and saw a comedy/musical by Killing My Lobster. They're a comedy troupe of sorts. I've seen a couple other shows they've put on and I was not disappointed. It was fun and entertaining. I'd say my favorite song was the evangelical one about the burrito and chips. I only wish that it ran on-time cuz Dayni and I had to run for the last BART train and couldn't really say good-bye to Jen and Carolyn. Luckily, the last train was either running late, or the schedule I have was wrong, b/we had to wait another 11 min for the officially last train out of the city to Dublin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home