Life in the Golden State

Monday, October 30, 2006

Day of Memories

Friday was a day of memories.

While at my Toning and Conditioning class, the disaster/earthquake alarm went off. We all had to duck-n-cover in the multi-purpose room over by the kitchen. When the alarm finally went off, the fire alarm sounded. We then took our purses and evacuated the building.... the last time I ever did any of those things in sucha setting was elementary school. It doesn't help that the SLZ Adult School is built in the same layout of any elementary school in the SLZ Unified School Dist. and has the same coloring of tan buildings w/ brown trim and, b/of the poor paint job starting to peel, you can see the former blue paint on all the doors. My youth. Now, all the elementary schools are white w/ teal trim except the adult school. Why is that? Lack of funds?

After my shortened workout, I stopped at the SLZ OSH b/ it's better than the San Leandro one. I got some home supplies and such. As I was in the car section of the store (in the back part of the electrical dept), I found myself singing along to a song playing on the store speakers. It was Sing by Travis. I was shocked. First at how I just knew that I had to be over in the electrical department for car items since I haven't worked in an OSH for many a year, and secondly, that the store music was playing Travis. I don't think I've ever heard their music anywhere else besides someone's cd player. I reminised about the Travis concert that Jen, Phillip and I went to almost 4 years ago and went to the poor, extremely bored cashier stuck at register 9 in the Tool Corral. (this, btw, is the worst register to be stuck at for your shift.) After I checked out, the guy zapped my bag. I was caught by the all-too-familiar sound and had to smile. He was wearing a watch w/ a second hand. He's gonna have to reset that thing in a week....

The rest of my weekend was good. On Saturday, I went to a movie and lunch w/ Julie and then a Halloween Party at my brother's house. The girls were no longer dressed in costume by the time I got there, but they were having fun in one of those jump houses. All the kids there ate waaaay too much candy and cupcakes. About 830 that night, Kieran comes over to me and tells me that her tummy hurts. I told her she couldn't have any more candy and she immediately ran over to her stash and handed it to me... Two seconds later, she asks for one more sweet tart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home