Work, "My Side Job", and Babies
For the first time, ever, I cried at work last week. It was a normal, blah week, and I found out that the Bakery didn't ace another shop. I hoped that it wasn't my fault again, and it was. The assistant manager told me about it and in the course of talking with her, I cried. (This, of course, happened on the one day I chose to wear make-up.) I'm just so frustrated with my performance at work and I don't know how I keep doing so bad on the secret shops when I feel like I'm doing fine (if not great). I feel like the black sheep of the bakery, and everyone knows it...
Good news! In the course of typing this blog, Andrea called me with a job announcement. The position would be at DCSS, but not in files or dealing with clients. It'd be in admin and deal with county policy. It'd be a little wierd to go back, but now that they're out in Pleasanton, I think it'd be a completely different experience. Very few ghosts to deal with besides a certain ex-coworker and old memories.
My future, possible, side job will be in cake making and decorating. I had so much fun in class last night! I took a picture of my first cake, and I have to say it turned out well. I could have used some more time to add a little extra, but it was good. I'll post pictures of my cake soon, quite possibly later today.
More baby stuff... I feel like I've been surrounded by it lately.
Heather had her baby!! Last week, on Feb. 25th. I hope that things are still going well as Mason is now a week old, and Heather should be out of the hospital. Ian, Heather's husband, sent me a few pictures of Mason, and he reminds me a lot of Ethan, their first boy. Same face, same nose, and, hopefully, the same red hair soon. :>)
Lisa has started a baby blog to keep us updated, but has given up on her current blog. I'm bummed to see the current blog to go, and I now have another link to delete. :>( It's OK. I think that the blogging world has changed a lot since the popularity of Facebook and whatnot have come into being.
Jen H. is still doing well at the clinic in Texas. I love to read her blog updates as she's in a completely different world. I think it's cool that she was there to witness a breach baby's birth a couple of weeks ago (or was it sooner??). Those types of births are so rare, and the excitement at the clinic (and within her blog) was catching.
To end my list of baby news, there are two women at work who are pregnant. They're young, and hearing them talk is completely different than listening to stories from Heather, Andrea, Jen H., and now, Lisa. There's a lot of whining, boasting, and junk food. It's a perspective that I haven't been presented with, and I don't like it. Y'all have the right to slap me around if I act that way when/if my time comes.
Good news! In the course of typing this blog, Andrea called me with a job announcement. The position would be at DCSS, but not in files or dealing with clients. It'd be in admin and deal with county policy. It'd be a little wierd to go back, but now that they're out in Pleasanton, I think it'd be a completely different experience. Very few ghosts to deal with besides a certain ex-coworker and old memories.
My future, possible, side job will be in cake making and decorating. I had so much fun in class last night! I took a picture of my first cake, and I have to say it turned out well. I could have used some more time to add a little extra, but it was good. I'll post pictures of my cake soon, quite possibly later today.
More baby stuff... I feel like I've been surrounded by it lately.
Heather had her baby!! Last week, on Feb. 25th. I hope that things are still going well as Mason is now a week old, and Heather should be out of the hospital. Ian, Heather's husband, sent me a few pictures of Mason, and he reminds me a lot of Ethan, their first boy. Same face, same nose, and, hopefully, the same red hair soon. :>)
Lisa has started a baby blog to keep us updated, but has given up on her current blog. I'm bummed to see the current blog to go, and I now have another link to delete. :>( It's OK. I think that the blogging world has changed a lot since the popularity of Facebook and whatnot have come into being.
Jen H. is still doing well at the clinic in Texas. I love to read her blog updates as she's in a completely different world. I think it's cool that she was there to witness a breach baby's birth a couple of weeks ago (or was it sooner??). Those types of births are so rare, and the excitement at the clinic (and within her blog) was catching.
To end my list of baby news, there are two women at work who are pregnant. They're young, and hearing them talk is completely different than listening to stories from Heather, Andrea, Jen H., and now, Lisa. There's a lot of whining, boasting, and junk food. It's a perspective that I haven't been presented with, and I don't like it. Y'all have the right to slap me around if I act that way when/if my time comes.

3 Comments:
dear amy, wow i can't imagine you ever crying. did you feel better afterwards? mystery shoppers are like spies.
dk
By
Anonymous, At
3/05/2009 11:30:00 AM
forgot 2 say that the 1st person i met in library school was an exlawyer who went to cooking school and made giant fancy wedding cakes for japanese tourists in hawaii. she had to stop making the cakes because she was getting arthritic.
dk
By
Anonymous, At
3/05/2009 11:35:00 AM
I am very frustrated at work, and I've never tried sooo hard to please my supervisors. I'm mentally tired of it all, plus it's physically exhausting - esp when I work those 40hrs. I felt a smidge better after crying, but mostly embarrassed by showing such vulnerability (sp?). Mystery shoppers are like spies, and you can't defend yourself b/ you get the reports weeks later when you can't remember anything.
I can see the possibilty of getting arthritis from cake decorating. My hands cramp-up now w/ the job I have. But, sore hands is so much more rewarding after decorating a cake than closing a zillion plastic boxes, twist-tying bags of bread, and having a hard grip on the goodies you don't want to drop at work.
By
amy, At
3/10/2009 11:38:00 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home