Mom's Home, Easter
On Saturday, my brother and the girls couldn't make it out here, so we just pushed off the family gathering until this week, the 18th, when we hoped that Mom would be home to enjoy everyone. Instead, after my sister got off work, we met up with Dad and had lunch. We went to the hospital to see Mom, and after a while, I abandoned everyone to go to work. stupid work... While at work, Mom was moved out of the ICU to the second floor and Dad and KT hung out. As I was leaving work, some car honked at me. whatever, right? Well, as I sit at the red light, trying to play a voicemail message, someone runs up to the passenger side of my car and knocks on the window. Hello! It scared the crap out of me, and the person turned out to be my sister. :>) KT gets in and says that Dad was a couple cars back and that they wanted to catch me before I headed home. Kate was hungry and wanted a late dinner, Dad just wanted a piece of pie or ice cream. We had both. I led Dad to the Indian food restaurant that's in the Village Center by my work. They both loved the food. We then walked across the parking lot to Lord's Ice Cream and had some of that. mmmm. We all were stuffed.
Easter Sunday, I worked. Dad and I almost ate breakfast together, but I had to start cooking my eggs and eating before he was done frying the entire package of bacon. (my hrs this week are 11-8pm instead of 12-9pm and i don't know why) At work, there were only three of us on duty, and it sucked. It was constantly busy with customers, and we had ten tons of bread products to package. Not as bad as Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it was bad enough b/ after 1pm, our trio turned into a duo. Phillip and Fred came by to say hi, and to show off that Fred wasn't too seriously injured from an ATV mishap. I had them take a bag of dinner rolls that I'd just packaged and sent them on their way. My lunch consisted of a turkey sandwich from the deli, chips, and a banana. Not exactly holiday fare, but I was already seriously bummed that I was missing out on another holiday with friends and family. Later that night, I ran into Margie, Celina, and Issiah (the baby who's very cute and doesn't deserve such long eyelashes!). Margie invited me over to her house for a late dinner, and I said I'd call Dad to see if he was interested (they were having ham after all!) and that I'd call her if we were going to come. Well, Dad had eaten a late lunch, and I was too tired to socialize by the time 8pm rolled around. As for Mom, my Mom Report was good. She was happy to be getting ice water, and since Mom was able to walk quite a distance in the hall of the hospital that day, Dad said that he expected to have her back home within another day or two.
Well, he was right. When I got home from work last night, Mom was here. She's supposed to be getting lots of rest with her feet up, and is still on a modified eating plan. She's officially decided to quit smoking, and I couldn't be happier. She complains that it's hard, but I remind her that the hard part probably happened while she was asleep in the hospital. Right now, I think it's more about breaking the habit/routine, and about finding her something else to do. I hope this effort is "for real" b/ I don't wan't to see her back in the hospital anytime soon. None of us do. It was scary and un-real. Really, who sleeps for 6 days?!!
Easter Sunday, I worked. Dad and I almost ate breakfast together, but I had to start cooking my eggs and eating before he was done frying the entire package of bacon. (my hrs this week are 11-8pm instead of 12-9pm and i don't know why) At work, there were only three of us on duty, and it sucked. It was constantly busy with customers, and we had ten tons of bread products to package. Not as bad as Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it was bad enough b/ after 1pm, our trio turned into a duo. Phillip and Fred came by to say hi, and to show off that Fred wasn't too seriously injured from an ATV mishap. I had them take a bag of dinner rolls that I'd just packaged and sent them on their way. My lunch consisted of a turkey sandwich from the deli, chips, and a banana. Not exactly holiday fare, but I was already seriously bummed that I was missing out on another holiday with friends and family. Later that night, I ran into Margie, Celina, and Issiah (the baby who's very cute and doesn't deserve such long eyelashes!). Margie invited me over to her house for a late dinner, and I said I'd call Dad to see if he was interested (they were having ham after all!) and that I'd call her if we were going to come. Well, Dad had eaten a late lunch, and I was too tired to socialize by the time 8pm rolled around. As for Mom, my Mom Report was good. She was happy to be getting ice water, and since Mom was able to walk quite a distance in the hall of the hospital that day, Dad said that he expected to have her back home within another day or two.
Well, he was right. When I got home from work last night, Mom was here. She's supposed to be getting lots of rest with her feet up, and is still on a modified eating plan. She's officially decided to quit smoking, and I couldn't be happier. She complains that it's hard, but I remind her that the hard part probably happened while she was asleep in the hospital. Right now, I think it's more about breaking the habit/routine, and about finding her something else to do. I hope this effort is "for real" b/ I don't wan't to see her back in the hospital anytime soon. None of us do. It was scary and un-real. Really, who sleeps for 6 days?!!

2 Comments:
Great to hear your mom is quitting and doing better!
I feel ya about the holidays -- the only part I really disliked about the Safeway gig -- working while everyone else partied!
By
Kathryn, At
4/14/2009 04:44:00 PM
glad to hear your mom is doing better and wants to quit smoking. Same thing happened with my mom - being in the hospital with breathing problems seems to help develop the quitting will power.
By
carolyn, At
4/16/2009 10:20:00 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home