My Cake Class
3/31/09, sixth and final class. Cake #4. Shirley received a Mexican Chocolate cake, with fudge frosting filling, and fudge frosting. We learned basket weaving and the supposed-to-be rope top to the basket. We practiced more roses (I borrowed some pink buttercream for variation), and I tried to make a fern branch for extra greenery. Our teacher gave us plastic bees, but mine was tossed by Dad my mistake. Oh well. Cute bee will just have to be purchased in the future.
3/17/09, fourth class. Cake #3. Katie received an apple spice cake, with vanilla buttercream frosting filling, and cream cheese frosting. This was the week we learned roses and sweet peas. The sweet peas are simple, roses are more difficult. If you can learn roses, you will be successful at cake decorating. The top rose is the best, the bottom rose is too dry. I have to find a happy medium when making my roses. We continued to practice the shell border... Why the pink? Well, a classmate had borrowed my green, and so I used someone else's bag of frosting.
3/10/09, third class. Cake #2. Krishneel got a chocolate, chocolate chip cake, with peanut butter frosting filling, and fudge frosting. As you can see, it was his and his sister's birthday. This class we learned drop flowers, shell borders, and the near impossible task of making dots (not hershey kisses!). In this class, I learned that the fudge frosting recipe from Grandma Nancy doesn't work best for decorated cakes. It gets too hard and the buttercream used for decoration won't stick to it. I like how the flowers turned out, but I later learned that they're supposed to be flat, not curly. More practice! :>)3/3/09, second class. Cake #1 (duh!). This cake was divided between us, Grandma Barbara and Papa, and a huge hunk went to Margie. It was a gingerbread cake, with vanilla and maple buttercream frosting filling, and vanilla buttercream frosting. We learned how to trace pictures onto cakes with the black jell stuff. We also learned the basic star shape. That bear is filled with a ton of stars smushed together. We all dyed our frostings different colors, and this was our first instance of sharing. I got the green and brown from elsewhere. This is why we all had to make a specific buttercream for this class.
I truly enjoyed this class. I'd love to take the advanced class the teacher offers, but my supervisor at work has been giving me crap about days off. I decided to just not push it and to take the advanced class in the fall. Hopefully by then I'll have practiced more, feel more confident, and have a better job. I think the hardest part of cake decorating is the time involved. You've gotta make the cake, have it cooled completely, frost it, and then decorate it. Between Mom's sickness and my hours at work, I just haven't had the time. Even when I was in the class and had the day off, I'd make the cake the morning and frost it in the afternoon, but I'd always felt rushed before class at night. The only homemade cake was my last one b/ I wanted to finnish with a bang. :>) By the way, I'll have to make that one again. It was mighty tastey! That and the peanut butter frosting. mmmmm.
(ggrrrr! blogger is having spacing issues again. sorry, folks!)


2 Comments:
Amy! These are so cute! The one with the bee was my favorite -- but I have a fondness for creatures that make my flowers bloom.
By
Kathryn, At
4/22/2009 11:21:00 AM
beautiful cakes! They look professional. I would never know those flowers were supposed to be flat. Good job! Look forward to your future creations.
By
carolyn, At
4/22/2009 01:01:00 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home