Courtesy Clerk
My last few days at the bakery were so stress-free b/ I just did not care. So empty, you know? The hardest part of my time there was getting out of my car on Friday and Saturday. I just didn't want to be there. I was so burnt out.
Last night was my first night as a Courtesy Clerk. The coworkers were pretty nice to me and most wanted to know why I was bagging instead of being in the bakery. I just said that I messed up on too many shops and that I'll be a Courtesy Clerk until Garry determines otherwise. It was usually followed by an, "ooooh, what did you do???". Aside from the interrogation, by first night wasn't bad.
I'm sure I'll have to do the other duties later this week, but yesterday was just about bagging groceries. That, and I learned the process of picking up the black handbaskets and distributing them to either entrance. I even helped a lady to take her stuff outside.... Such a reduction in stress!!! It was nice. I got a new black apron, and I don't have to wear my hat. I think I'll keep my hat in my locker, though, for when I've gotta go collect those carts for a hour at a time.
I talked to my union rep on Saturday morning. She said that I can be kept as a Courtesy Clerk indefinitely. Since I'm classified as a General Merchandise Clerk, I can work anywhere in the bakery, deli, floral, Starbucks, or as a Courtesy Clerk or a GMC stock person. And, regardless of department, my pay cannot be reduced. Courtesy Clerks have to work a minimum of 16hrs, but they have to schedule me for no less than 24hrs so that my benefits stay intact.
Last night was my first night as a Courtesy Clerk. The coworkers were pretty nice to me and most wanted to know why I was bagging instead of being in the bakery. I just said that I messed up on too many shops and that I'll be a Courtesy Clerk until Garry determines otherwise. It was usually followed by an, "ooooh, what did you do???". Aside from the interrogation, by first night wasn't bad.
I'm sure I'll have to do the other duties later this week, but yesterday was just about bagging groceries. That, and I learned the process of picking up the black handbaskets and distributing them to either entrance. I even helped a lady to take her stuff outside.... Such a reduction in stress!!! It was nice. I got a new black apron, and I don't have to wear my hat. I think I'll keep my hat in my locker, though, for when I've gotta go collect those carts for a hour at a time.
I talked to my union rep on Saturday morning. She said that I can be kept as a Courtesy Clerk indefinitely. Since I'm classified as a General Merchandise Clerk, I can work anywhere in the bakery, deli, floral, Starbucks, or as a Courtesy Clerk or a GMC stock person. And, regardless of department, my pay cannot be reduced. Courtesy Clerks have to work a minimum of 16hrs, but they have to schedule me for no less than 24hrs so that my benefits stay intact.

3 Comments:
They pulled that kind of crap when I worked there too. Talk to the union rep, keep calling -- you're paying their salary...
By
Kathryn, At
5/04/2009 05:29:00 PM
I'm glad it's less stress for you at least. I don't like the sound of that bakery, sounds like a horrid place to work.
By
carolyn, At
5/08/2009 01:15:00 PM
It was awful to work in the bakery. My punishment is a needed break! Now that I'm gone, Cathy is starting to get the stress that I was under to clean, package, and help customers all on my own 5 nights a week... She's got my old schedule while the new girl was given all of Cathy's earlier shifts. I feel for Cathy, but I'm not nearly as stressed anymore.
By
amy, At
5/12/2009 03:09:00 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home