Life in the Golden State

Friday, May 01, 2009

Two Things

Two things have happened in these last two weeks.

1) Mom was in and out of the hospital again. They were concerned about possible blood clots in her (swollen) leg and in her lungs. No blood clots, and the lungs are clear of disease despite having fluid in them. Mom's gained lots of fluid back into her body in the two weeks she was home, and the doctors don't know why. I have a feeling that more tests will be run. In the meantime, she's home and is on oxygen. Her oxygen level is still low, but not low enough to stay in the hospital. We have a machine here and a really long tube that can follow Mom all around the house (downstairs, anyway).

2) Because I'm a horrible, awful employee, I've finally been demoted to a Courtesy Clerk. No one discussed this with me, so I guess that they thought the threats were enough... Yesterday, while looking up my schedule for next week, instead of it saying "production" under my name, it says "courtesy clerk". I have no idea how long I'll be out of the bakery, but I'm gonna ask today. Plus, I need to discuss the hours they've given me. I know it's a punishment, but when I was hired, it was agreed that I wouldn't work after 10pm. My schedule is currently filled with work hours til midnight. I know I'm being punished, but, really? I wish I knew more about my rights, if any, but my union rep hasn't returned my phone call yet. How long can management keep me at a job I wasn't hired for? Do I get the lower pay status? What's the process? I've been yelled at A LOT, but I've never been written-up for all my terrible customer service skills and faux pas'.... The only good things about all of this are that I won't be in the bakery for a week and I'll be guaranteed breaks at night.

4 Comments:

  • ask ur dad, maybe he'll have more insight on the workings of the union mind.

    dk

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5/01/2009 04:44:00 PM  

  • it's ridiculous that you weren't getting your breaks when you were in the bakery. That's ILLEGAL.

    By Blogger carolyn, At 5/02/2009 08:28:00 PM  

  • it was illegal to not get my breaks, but some of that was self-imposed... i was under so much stress that i was just always trying to get it all done. stupid, i know. in general, the bakery was too busy for me to take a break. when i'd leave, i was usually paged back there. i considered it a victory when i was able to run to the bathroom and drink some water w/o being bothered!

    as for the union, well, it sounds like i had more rights than was ever explained to me. i'm gonna go over the contract today.

    By Blogger amy, At 5/04/2009 10:07:00 AM  

  • There was a class action lawsuit against Bubba Gumps from employees who were missing breaks because of pressure from management. I think there was also something about tips in there.

    By Blogger carolyn, At 5/04/2009 10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home