Life in the Golden State

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Too Much Stuff!

Since my last post on November 11th, SO MUCH has happened. I've written 3 posts that were only 1/2 done and never posted. I've moved into my own apartment. I've celebrated many birthdays and holidays. I got engaged... and I'm sure I'm leaving more stuff out.

I find it hard to blog lately. My mind is always going with a To-Do List while trying to keep up some sort of social life with friends and family. I hope that my mind will calm down once I get more of the wedding planned.

If you don't know yet, Phillip and I will get married on December 3rd at Holy Spirit Church in Fremont. Long story as to why we're doing it there instead of Saint Leo's in Oakland, and if you want to know, just ask. We've chosen our reception to be at a local golf course. While we won't get to personalize every detail about the reception, I'm OK with letting some stuff be "standard" as it'll be less stress and research.

Our colors are blue. A dark/royal blue, not pastel colors. Accent colors are up for debate still, but I think that white, ivory, silver will be pretty too. I need ideas on another accent color. A non-obnoxious yellow? Purple? The church will be decorated for Advent, so those colors are purple and rose. The Christmas decorations go up on December 24th.

Work is going OK. We're in the search for a new Airport Manager (interviews will be this coming Thurs and Fri), Noise Coordinator (interviews this Wed), and Senior Maintenace Worker (interviews on 3/10). We're all excited to be getting a new, permanent manager, and Brendan desires the additional help that the Senior Mx Wrkr will provide. We expect our intern to get the Noise Coordinator job, as that's the job she does w/o the title... I didn't get the Senior Secretary position over at City Hall. I was notified a couple of weeks ago. I was a little bummed, but then realized that I don't really want to initiate too much more change in my life this year. I think that getting married and possibly buying a home are more than enough. :>)

Other news: I tried to give blood today! Again. I've had troubles in the past attempts (low iron in High School, no breakfast or not enough time in college, hadn't been off antibiotics long enough a couple of years ago, etc). Today, the church had a blood drive to help the local blood banks. Phillip sat there with me as I completed paperwork and my interview. I passed the interview and the iron screening and had actually made it into a donation bed. I was excited yet very nervous. Not to mention COLD. It was cold in that room with all the doors open! The guy comes over to hook me up and says that my vein is small and asks someone else to do it. She finds my vein and says it's not only small, but oddly shaped/crooked. She sticks me on the first try, and all is good until the blood doesn't flow. She adjusts, and then the blood stops again. Phillip was with me the entire time, thank God. I'm squeezing the stress ball, rolling the stress ball, not looking at the blood person as she keeps adjusting my needle and pokes at my arm. Finally, she gives up. :>( I at least tried!! I want to donate as I've inherited lots and lots of pints of relatives' and strangers' blood. I was premature and used tons at the hospital as a baby. I'm pretty sure I self donated for my knee surgery, but I still want to give back to all those non-AIDS people who were so kind in the late 1970s. I feel the need to pass on the good deed. Since my veins are so difficult, maybe I'll just help register people or donate money in the future.

My sore arm:

4 Comments:

  • poor Amy. That's sweet of you. I've been able to donate in the past but once my blood pressure was low afterwards and I was dizzy. So I'm not super eager now, although it probably was a one time thing. Good for you for trying though!

    By Blogger carolyn, At 3/04/2011 10:45:00 PM  

  • holy nastiness... what a way to end a sweet post. excellent trying!!

    By Blogger Crazy, At 3/06/2011 05:41:00 AM  

  • Oooh...unusual anatomy...I'm intrigued. Can I see what this troublesome vein looks like the next time we get together? Kudos for trying anyway. I've never quite gotten up the courage to donate blood, so I'm glad there are people like you who can :)

    By Blogger yellowrose15, At 3/06/2011 12:20:00 PM  

  • Thank you all. That bruise was just the beginning. It got worse and bigger and darker. It's been over two weeks, and I'm left with a faint greenish-brown mark around the needle entry, and a purple w/ greenish-brown spot at least the size of a quarter on my forearm.

    By Blogger amy, At 3/15/2011 01:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home