Life in the Golden State

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sarah Jessica Parker and the BART fainter.

This past week has been interesting and eventful.

Katie's birthday was this weekend. I spent the afternoon on Saturday baking a cake for the family bbq on Sunday. Phillip and I were invited to her "friends birthday party" - yea! I'm a friend! - on Saturday. Had dinner at the Sonoma Chicken Coop. Saw people I knew. Met others I'd never seen or heard of before. Dinner was good, but late. No bar-hop for me and Phillip as he had to get back out to Livermore.

Friday, I did a practice run of BART/Muni transportation for my test I took yesterday. The test was for an HR position at the Bay Area Air Quality Management District and being held at a conference room in/under St. Mary's Cathedral. After I'd found the location w/ plenty of time, I explored the cathedral. It's a pretty church - not as ugly and cement-y as you'd think. I got a tour from one of the volunteers. I liked the cool looking organ the best. It's a work of art. It's on a pedistal that looks like it'd fall over at any moment. But, obviously not, as it's been standing in place since the 60s... and, yes, I took a moment to pray (as any good Catholic would do) before I left.

I headed back down to Union Square to get KT's birthday present; gift card for the Cheesecake Factory. It wasn't opened yet, so I wandered around Macy's. There was some sort of promotion going on. Given my shortness, it was hard to see, so I asked. Appearently, Sarah Jessica Parker was coming in between noon and two to sign autographs for the first 300 people and to promote her new perfume. How very cool. What do I need to do to get in line? Just buy a $135 gift set of her perfume and she'll autograph the bottle. urgh. I smelled the stuff and was instantly congested. "Lovely", it was not. The sales lady still tried. She rubbed in some of the body butter on my hand. Yes, a lighter scent, but still nothing I could use. It was cool that there were things in the gift set that wouldn't be for sale after the promotion. I liked the umbrella they were giving out as well, but... Give it away? I didn't think that KT would like it. It was a strong scent. Rouja? I called Phillip and told him the deal. He called Rouja for me and, sadly, she didn't have the money to reimburse me. Why spend so much money on something I didn't even like just to get an autograph? My income isn't disposable enough. So, I left. I got the gift card and left the building before I could regret my decision. I didn't bother sticking around to see the celebrity b/ I couldn't see the area where she was supposed to be.....

Yesterday, I went to the city to take my test. It was an exciting day. It started with a lady fainting on the BART. One stop before mine. I was worried about her, but more concerned about making my test in time. I know, selfish, but I couldn't help but worry about myself. It was interesting to watch. She fell over like a tree. When the croud parted, she was on her face. Her arms weren't even under her! A guy called the conductor and others helped her up. When the paramedic came, she rejected help or to get off the train. If I hadn't eaten my granola bar already, I'd have offered it to her. The lady next to her promised to see the fainter off the train at 16th St as she was going all the way down to Balboa. The station agent was going to be warned of the situation and watch out for the fainter.....

I did the best I could on the test. I don't expect to get the job, but at least I tried. There were, supposedly, 120 test takers. I would have done better on the test had I hadda clue about HR in the public sector. I took my best guesses and stuck to whatever knowledge I've been able to pick up through osmosis over the years. I was surprised to see Amanda. I worked with her, briefly, when I worked for the county. In fact, it was when my job was still under the DA's office. She came up to me. She looked familiar, but I didn't know who it was until I heard the voice. She no longer works for Probation, but is a HR Tech. She may have more knowledge than I, but I still catch on to things faster than she... not that that would help w/ the test or give me an edge in any way.

I was supposed to meet Carolyn for lunch at 1130am. I finished my test by 1045am. I called her and she was on her way already. YEA! Food! I was starving at that point. We got lunch at a crepe place and then saw Little Miss Sunshine. It was good. The characters were great and some of the scenes were outrageous. It made us all laugh.

As for this week, I'm looking forward to seeing a show with Jen and the last home game for the A's with Dad......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home