Life in the Golden State

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day

I had a good weekend. Hope all my readers out there did, too. I can't type much as I'm heading down to San Jose in a few hours and need to get some errands completed. I'm going down there to babysit the girls while my sister goes to work for a few hours. I'll be back sometime on Wednesday, tired, I'm sure.

Yesterday was Memorial Day, and I wanted to do something memorial-like. Claire and I went to Alameda to visit the USS Hornet museum for a service. It was short, sweet, and nicely carried out. The boyscouts did a great job as colorguard, and there is nothing that will stir that little bit of patriotism inside your heart more than a flag ceremony w/ everyone in attendance singing the national anthem. After the service, we all walked over to the edge of the boat and watched the wreath get blessed and tossed over the side. Then, they had flowers available for any one in attendence to toss over the side as well. I did my part and thanked the many people who gave their lives during the US's many conflicts throughout time by tossing a pretty pink tulip down into the water. The ship was so large and the wind strong enough that I couldn't see where it landed in the water. Claire, in turn, paid her respects to her grandfather, who was a merchant marine in the Pacific during WWII. At the end of it all, a good feeling despite the argumentative side of me still stirring at the words of "soldiers protecting our freedom overseas". Protecting what? We've done nothing but invade, attack, and provide a police presence in the name of oil, power and paranoia..... but, I digress....

We then spent a little more time on the ship, exploring the open areas of the museum. It was OK, but nothing spectacular to me as I'm not a war-buff nor a ship-buff. We skipped the non-free BBQ on deck and headed back into town. We ate a late lunch at this Italian restuarant. Very good food and nice atmosphere. Walked Park Street a little to clear the way for ice cream. Huge-ass line but it was well worth it. I think next time I'll try one of the more unusual flavors like butterscotch swirl rather than get the extremely fantastic peanut butter chocolate flavor. I swear, they have the best peanut butter chocolate ice cream! I think it may be real, natural peanut butter inside the cream cuz it's a strong flavor but not very sweet at all.

My evening was spent at home, trying to motivate myself into doing some chores and things on my "to do list". I didn't get too much done, but that's cool. I was successful, though, in reorganizing my Chabot schedule of classes for the coming semesters. I'll need to do that tonight after the girls go to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home