Life in the Golden State

Monday, August 18, 2008

Employment Prospects and My Training Day

This past week or so I've had a few employment prospects pop up:

  • Seriously wanting to work, and I took one Saturday morning to apply to jobs out at Stoneridge Mall. I even turned in an application supplemental that details my retail experience and key-holding experience.
  • "Interviewed" and drug tested with Safeway for the Bakery Clerk position (part-time).
  • Interviewed with Simpson Stong-Tie for an admin position.
  • Tested my Word 2007 and Excel 2007 computer skills for the city of Hayward.
  • Started to work part-time at Grandma's office, again, to help with the much needed document destruction and general clean-up. It's almost closed!!! :>)
  • Have an interview tomorrow for the city of Livermore.

Today, I started my training for the Bakery Clerk position at Safeway!!! :>) It consisted of over 5 hrs. on the computer, watching and reading stuff. I get to do more on Wednesday. While the computer stuff isn't too exciting, it is exciting to be getting an income that's not from the family business, to be in a new (and busy) environment, and to just plain have a reason to get out of bed in the morning. I won't be getting to bake or anything, but I'm sure I will if I get a promotion to a different job title. The Bakery Clerk works in the back of the store with all the goodies and does other things than just cashiering. It's part-time, so it'll allow for me to still follow up with the full-time prospects. I'm just excited about it all. Now that this has happened for me, a new round of potential employers has decided to pursue me. :>) I hope that something happens with one of the city governments, but if not, then the other prospect looks like a nice workplace and area (geographically) to work.

3 Comments:

  • Of course now that you have a part time job all of the other jobs you applied to are going to want you. It usually comes in waves like that. Congratulations and good luck w/ the prospects.

    By Blogger Chappy & Bailey, At 8/18/2008 05:41:00 PM  

  • Yay! I'm happy for you. A bakery is perfect for you, I'm sure you'll enjoy working there and good luck with your other prospects :) Which Safeway is it and what's your schedule like? Some peeps might want to drop by and visit ya.

    By Blogger carolyn, At 8/20/2008 08:21:00 AM  

  • I'm working at the Castro Valley Safeway. I don't have many hours, but I was guaranteed 24hrs/wk. I have been scheduled for three 8hr shifts next week plus a safety training in Fremont... I need to buy another shirt, cuz one isn't enough when working consecutive days!

    Thank you for the good wishes, guys. The job prospect that wasn't governmental just sent me a rejection email this afternoon. I'm not too surprised as I felt a little brushed-off as I was leaving the interview.

    By Blogger amy, At 8/20/2008 04:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home