Life in the Golden State

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Birthday Week

My Birthday Week, January 10-17, 2010.

Jan. 10
"family dinner". I just didn't feel like doing much, and the plans were getting to be soooo last minute, that I just told Dad that I'd be happy with a dinner with whomever was at our house on Sunday. I ended up eating at Texas Roadhouse with Phillip, my parents, Dan, and the nieces. It was an awesome late lunch. The only thing that would have allowed me to enjoy it more would have been a smaller breakfast that morning. The good news was that I'd ordered something that kept well and was easily re-warmed for lunch the next day. mmm. bbq'd pork.

Jan. 12
** At work, I share my birthday with Bill, one of the maintenance staff. That morning, someone brought in a chocolate cake from Lucky, and no one ate any at the "morning huddle". It's not really a huddle, but around 8am, the maintenance staff comes inside the tower and meets with the Ops Mngr to get their marching orders and to talk to anyone about special work for the day. Everyone sang "Happy Birthday" to me and Bill, and the awkward moment was short. I took a piece of cake around break-time, and it was dry. :>( We need to get a different cake for the next birthday. We've had this one for the last 3....
** After that, I got a flower delivery. Both Dolores and Noemi were eager to see who sent me flowers, and there are only two people that come to mind: Phillip or KT. The pretty roses turned out to be from Phillip. (Thank you, again, sweetie. They're holding up well in my room. At work, they'd be dead already!)
** After work, Phillip and I enjoyed an awesome dinner at Horatio's at the San Leandro Marina. It was my first visit, and I can see why people like it. The atmosphere is relaxing, nice, but not stuffy. Business Casual is an appropriate dress code. The appitizer sampler is a must (prawns, beef, and artichoke/crab dip). Our entrees were good, but hard to finnish after the sampler and a lot of the awesome, garliced foccacia bread. Our waiter got the not-so-subtle hints that Phillip were dropping about it being my birthday, and brought us a free creme brule. It's my favorite one so far. The vanilla flavor was strong and the sugar wasn't burnt but lightly browned.
** The total birthday wishes: 1 phone call, 4 texts, and hugs from my parents that night. I found ooodles of wishes on my Facebook page a couple of days later. Facebook has definitely taken over as a main form of communication with people this past year.

Jan. 16
"friend party". Dinner at Strizzi's in Pleasanton was yummy as well. I had a great turnout, considering I sent the evite not even two weeks before the date. I had my favorite dish from them, and I still love it. YUM! I didn't get to talk with half the people, but that's what happens with a big group. I tried to sit in the middle of the table, but... 13 people are a lot. You don't think about how many people you know until the signifiant others are factored into the equation! As people trickeled out, others stayed. Louis, Jen H, Jen R, Joe, Carolyn, Phillip, and I closed the restaurant. The waitresses were counting tips by the time we left. It was a long, but enjoyable night.

Jan. 17
KT got me tickets to see Avenue Q in San Jose. It was something that I wanted to see the last time it was in town, but I missed out. I'm sure glad that Kate was paying attention! I ended up seeing the show with KT, Phillip, and my parents. We had a pre-event lunch at the Cheesecake Factory by KT's house, and then basically ran to the show. Phillip and I literally just made it in the door before they locked us out. The main lights were turned off as we shuffled to our seats. I loved the show. I know that Phillip laughed a lot. KT and Dad liked it, but I'm not too sure that Mom enjoyed it all. The puppet-sex was probably too much for some in the audience, but the songs were great. Funny! I think my favorite is about everyone being a little bit racist. A few others stick out in my mind, too, but I can't name any titles. (Our show guide is no Playbill, and it doesn't have the play layout nor song list.)

Presents were nice. I got some candles, recipe book, a watch on a keychain, smelly girlie lotion stuff, homemade jewelry, and gift cards.....


And, on an even more personal note, I need to get something off my chest:
In no way did I get sent or asked any sort of question, nor am I sporting any new rings because of such special events as Christmas, New Year's, or my birthday. The next person to ask/demand/innocently inquire about when/if Phillip and I are to be married just may be hit upside the head. No promises, but watch out for a back-handed slap to whatever bodypart is nearby. (And, believe me, it'll be hard to hold back on doing the same to my nosey coworkers!) Everyone's expectations will be met when and if we feel the time is right, so please stop making me answer your questions. I'm tired of the pressure! I'm fully aware of my age and how long Phillip and I have been together. There is no set formula to relationships, and I don't think I need to continue to come up with reasons for anything. I do not need to explain anything to anyone except for Phillip. Please, back off.

2 Comments:

  • yeah, that's a really strong message. i just went with, "i don't know but you'll be the first to know."

    at least you're both getting THE QUESTION from people. it'd suck if only one of you were being asked and the other person had never even entertained the idea :o)

    dk

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1/20/2010 02:18:00 PM  

  • LOL. Yeah, Amen to backing off!

    By Blogger yellowrose15, At 1/20/2010 03:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home